Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Sayre School is seeking a highly motivated and qualified teacher who desires a professional and fun working environment dedicated to student growth, progress, and achievement. In this position, we welcome applications from candidates who embrace the challenges and joys of teaching upper school students, who have a passion for their subject, and who want to become an active member of the school community. We aim to hire educators who add to our collective excellence through their individual talents, perspectives, and personality. Please see our Mission and Visionon the school website and our Teacher Profile (below) to learn more about who we aspire to be.
Job responsibilities, expectations and opportunities include:
- Teaching classes in Middle and Upper School French (total of 5 courses).
- Co-teaching our unique fifth grade class “Lingua Franca” about the origins, history, and role of world languages
- Three years of high school experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with language proficiency testing (STAMP, AAPPL, etc.)
- Using differentiated instruction, prepare students for the next grade level
- Working with a group of advisees and supporting the social-emotional needs of students
- Serving on committees
- Working collaboratively within the department and the Middle School and Upper School.
- Supervision duties
- Leading / co-leading extracurricular activities, trips and clubs.
- Support students with learning needs based on their Individualized Learning Plans
Interested applicants are asked to email a resume, cover letter, a brief teaching philosophy, and the names of at least three references to the Upper School Director, Dr. Clint Calzini (firstname.lastname@example.org) and World Languages Department Chair, Dr. Nance Everts (email@example.com). Please include your last name and “French at Sayre” in the subject line.
Sayre School actively seeks qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds and talents who will make a positive contribution to school life. Sayre School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, uniform service member status, religion, handicap or disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all federal, state, or local law. This applies to its educational policies, employment policies, admissions policies, financial-aid policies, athletics, and other after-school programs.
To find out more about Sayre School please access our website at www.sayreschool.org.
Sayre Middle and Upper School Teacher Profile
- BA or MA in content area and /or education
- 3-5 years teaching experience
- Demonstrated success in independent / public school or higher education
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Organized, planner, tech savvy in the classroom
- Team player, collaborator, communicator
- Efficacy and agency to support all students
- Student engagement in the classroom and beyond
- Sense of humor, positive energy, optimism
- Patient, emotional intelligence, empathic
- Self-reflective, intrinsically motivated, success oriented
- Flexibility, resilience, resourcefulness
- Licensure, National Board Certification, or other certification / degree
- Experience and/or willingness to engage in regional professional association via workshops, conference presentations, etc.
- Experience and/or willingness to take on leadership roles
Connections working at Sayre School
About Sayre School
Established in 1854, Sayre School is an independent PS through 12th grade college preparatory co-educational school located in downtown Lexington, Kentucky. A second campus, comprising a 50-acre athletic complex and farm, is several miles outside of town.