Location: Claymont, Delaware
Type: Full Time
Archmere Academy, a private, Catholic, Norbertine college preparatory high school in Claymont, DE invites enthusiastic and qualified applicants for a full-time opening in our nationally recognized Art & Design Program.
The successful candidate will be a professional art educator and highly skilled artist, with demonstrated experience leading high school students in a sequenced and scaffolded course of study in the fundamentals of art and design. The ideal candidate will understand the importance of developing technical studio skills while also building creative confidence in each student, regardless of prior art experience. Courses will include foundations classes (Introduction to Drawing & Introduction to Design).
Preferred Skills & Demonstrated Knowledge
- Fundamentals of observational drawing
- Adobe Photoshop, Digital Imaging/Graphic Design
- Demonstrated ability to lead students through a sequenced 2D & 3D design process, from concept to completion
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate intellectually curious and high aptitude students
- Broad knowledge of art history, artists and art movements, including non-Western and traditionally underrepresented artists
- Comprehensive visual art vocabulary and critical analysis to facilitate engaging class critiques and lead students in formal analysis of artwork
- Awareness of and sensitivity to adolescents and the importance of creative work as both a serious pursuit and as a source of enjoyment
- Authentic knowledge of art materials, studio art processes, and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to purposefully design a thoughtfully sequenced and scaffolded course of study in art and design (curricular scope and sequence)
Additional Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Annual participation in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards Programs, as well as additional exhibition opportunities beyond campus
- Openness to collaboration and interdisciplinary teaching & learning, continuous refinement of curriculum, and ongoing professional development
- Infusion of emerging technologies into teaching practice & pedagogy
- Incorporation of art history and contemporary art issues into studio courses to provide broader context and deeper learning in art and design
- Development of standards-aligned rubrics and student assessments that provide clarity and specificity about evaluation of work
- Hold students to high expectations in alignment with a college-preparatory program
- Adherence to all of Archmere's policies (as detailed in the Faculty/Staff Handbook) and to all Art & Design Department policies
- All full-time faculty members are also expected to contribute to the extracurricular life of the school and moderate one activity, club, or coach one sport.
- Art courses at Archmere are weighted like academic classes and are factored into student GPAs. Candidate must also recognize the importance of timely non objective assessment practices in art education and personalized feedback to optimize student learning and growth
Interested applicants should submit the following materials via email to Stephanie Silverman, Art & Design Department Chair, at email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Professional Resume
- Teaching Philosophy (one page)
- Student Portfolio featuring 10-15 examples of student work (please indicate student artist’s grade, course, medium, and dimensions of work created)
- Artist Portfolio of personal art and design work (please indicate medium, dimension, title, and the year created)
- Finalists will be required to prepare and deliver a live demonstration lesson in the content area of drawing including a written lesson plan and an explanation of how the lesson would fit into a larger course of study (curricular scope and sequence).
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts required
- Master’s degree in Art Education preferred
- Two or more years of teaching experience are strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a professional art educator, as evidenced by student work, creative accomplishments and artistic achievement
- Technical mastery of subject matters to be taught, as evidenced in personal and student portfolio work samples and live, in-person demonstration lesson
- Adobe Photoshop & digital art skills a plus
Connections working at Archmere Academy
About Archmere Academy
Archmere Academy is a Roman Catholic, independent, co-educational college preparatory school inspired by the Norbertine tradition and a heritage of committed faculty, alumni, families, and friends. Archmere welcomes faculty and students of diverse religious and cultural backgrounds. Nurturing body and soul, mind and heart, Archmere focuses on the whole person through academic excellence, faith reflection, social development, and service to others. Inspired by its heritage, Archmere cultivates empathetic leaders – young men and women prepared for every good work.