Location: San Jose , California
Type: Full Time
If hired for this position, the annual salary range for this position is between $72,000 - $112,433. The salary may vary depending on your campus location and skills. Competitive benefits for benefits eligible roles include medical, dental, life insurance, 401K savings plan, generous paid time off, family forming benefits, health and wellness benefits and more.
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.
Start Date: August 2023
Location: San Jose, CA
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Prior to our full nursery through high school campus opening in 2024, Avenues opened its doors to students in the upper division at our Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2022 academic year, serving students from 6th through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
At Avenues, learning another language is more than an academic pursuit; it is a practice that transforms the way students see and think about the world. We develop our own inquiry-based curriculum that helps students learn within and through their target language. As a result, our students develop their second (or third or fourth) -language skills through vibrant classroom discussions, engaging and authentic projects, cultural and international exchanges, and frequent real-world language use. Spanish teachers also collaborate not only with each other, but also with colleagues in other disciplines to design both complementary and integrated learning experiences.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- Ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- Co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- Practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence with guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- Contribute to the broader community of our Silicon Valley campus and global network
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Who You Are
Avenues Spanish teachers bring all or most of the following:
- Several years of teaching experience in middle and/or high school Spanish and an exemplary track record of student learning
- Deep knowledge of, and passion for, the Spanish language and Spanish, Latin American and and/or Spanish history and culture
- Expertise in task-based instruction for communication and project-based language learning
- Familiarity with a range of summative and formative assessment approaches native, or near-native, proficiency in Spanish
- Proficiency in backwards planning and lesson design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- Experience with, or interest in, interdisciplinary, project-based L2 teaching
- Commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal