Location: Belmont, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Inspire and challenge.
At Belmont Day School, we foster intellectual curiosity, honor differences, and empower meaningful contribution with excellence, respect, honesty, responsibility, caring, and joy.
Grade 6 English Teacher
Belmont Day School seeks a dynamic, skilled, and creative English teacher to teach middle school English, serve as an advisor, and collaborate with a collegial and skilled team of faculty.
This person will serve as an integral member of the middle school team. Deep knowledge of and appreciation of teaching literature from multiple perspectives and expertise in teaching reading strategies, literary analysis, grammar, writing mechanics, prose, and creative writing are required. A qualified candidate will also possess a strong enthusiasm and deep knowledge of middle school students, a commitment to fostering and modeling our core values, and a clear understanding and dedication to equity and inclusion and infusing anti-bias and culturally responsive pedagogy.
This is a full-time, ten-month, exempt, and benefit-eligible position that reports to the middle school head and begins in September 2023. This position is not eligible for employer-sponsored relocation.
- Teach three sections of middle school English
- Engage weekly in collaborative planning meetings with the English department
- Serve as a middle school advisor
- Create and deliver rigorous, effective, and compelling curricular experiences
- Maintain documentation of curriculum
- Work to ensure academic excellence—the ability of students to approach novel tasks with the confidence, mindset, and skills to accomplish them successfully
- Serve in one or more roles: Capstone mentor, middle school athletics coach, Growth, Development, and Belonging teacher, Choices teacher, or associate teacher mentor
- Collaborate with teams of colleagues to support co-curricular programming and the development of adolescents beyond the classroom
- Keep careful anecdotal and assessment records to inform and write comprehensive student reports
- Lead and assist in parent-teacher conferences focused on the social, emotional, and academic growth of middle school students
- Constructively participate in professional evaluation program
- Provide regular, constructive, and specific feedback to students to encourage their growth and improvement as readers, writers, and speakers
- Establish and maintain strong home-school partnerships with families to ensure students’ success
- Commit to fostering a diverse and inclusive community in and outside of the classroom
- Engage with students routinely by providing coverage at lunch, recess, and dismissal, or other duties as needed
- Perform additional responsibilities as required
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Experience teaching middle school preferred
- Experience teaching English, writing, or humanities
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Deep appreciation for and commitment to building a cohesive and innovative community of learners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to infuse diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice concepts and themes into the academic and social-emotional curriculum, as well as teaching, classroom management, and student and family relationships
- Clear understanding and dedication to equity and inclusion and infusing anti-bias and culturally responsive pedagogy
- Ability to develop a thematic curriculum
- Commitment to professional development and best practices in teaching and learning
- Commitment to effective use of technology in the classroom
- Flexibility, energy, patience, and creativity
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and professional references specific to this position to email@example.com by Friday, June 9, 2023.
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a non-sectarian institution. The school is an equal opportunity employer. The school complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability.
Connections working at Belmont Day School
About Belmont Day School
Belmont Day School is a pre-kindergarten through eighth grade independent school in founded in 1927 by a group of parents committed to providing children with an excellent academic foundation and many opportunities for creative expression. We value honesty, caring, joy, responsibility, respect and excellence.