Location: Brooklyn, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $130,000 - $140,000
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School (BHMS) offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, as well as the principles of equity and social justice, professional excellence, and community.
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Reports to: Head of School
Brief Description: The Director of Development works as part of a team with the Director of Enrollment Management and Financial Aid, the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Associate Director of Community Engagement and the Associate Director of Admissions. Working closely with the Head of School and the chair(s) of the Institutional Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Director is responsible for school-wide fundraising and development strategic planning and execution to support the mission of the School. This person sits on the school’s Senior Administrative Team in a full-time, 12-month position.
Specific duties include the following:
- Develop and oversee all fundraising strategies (Brooklyn Heights Montessori Fund, Benefit for BHMS, Capital Campaigns, Special Initiatives, Class Gifts, etc.) to meet or exceed annual revenue goals
- Work closely with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to plan the strategic direction of institutional advancement and any future campaigns for the school
- Work with the board’s Institutional Advancement Committee in planning annual and restricted fundraising events and campaigns
- Responsible for the strategic involvement of all constituents in the planning and development process designed to increase giving
- Collect and analyze data to evaluate current fundraising methods and recommend changes as appropriate
- Provide regular, detailed reports and information to the Head of School and trustees to help in decision-making and program evaluation
- Manage a major donor fundraising plan, with an emphasis on donor relationships, solicitation activities, and stewardship of prospects from a variety of constituents including trustees, current and past parents, alumni, grandparents, and foundations
- Oversee the reporting and reconciliation of all donations with the Business Office and Associate Director of Community Engagement
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Marketing to produce advancement support materials for fundraising campaigns, Alumni news, impact reports, etc.
- Direct overall office planning and interacts with the School community with the broad understanding of the goals and objectives of the School
- Design long-term, strategic plans for the alumni and family programs and revisit these plans on an annual basis
- Oversee and collaborate with various programs/departments to ensure internal and external events are dynamic, on-brand, and effective; events include but are not limited to New Parent Reception, Back to School Night, curriculum nights, parent education events, Inside BHMS, Journey Meetings, Grandparents and Special Friends Day, etc.
- Directly manage and work with the Associate Director of Community Engagement to oversee the Parents Association, alumni outreach, and management of the School’s database (Veracross)
- Oversee implementation of a plan to identify, recruit, train, and steward volunteer leadership to form a bench of volunteers
- Communicate clearly and regularly, keeping the Head of School and members of the senior Administrative Team informed of all relevant information.
- Build strong relationships with faculty, staff, and coaches within the school and assist in articulating the school’s message.
- Participate in planning the school calendar
- Participate in NAIS DASL data entry
- Work with Senior Administrative Team on planning, tracking, and achieving Strategic Plan goals
- Establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with students, faculty, staff, parents, and trustees
- Comply with the established policies and procedures of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School
- Participate in Senior Admin Team Meetings
- Perform various reasonable tasks from time to time as requested by the Head of School
- Train, support, supervise, and evaluate the Associate Director of Community Engagement
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree related to education, financial administration, or philanthropy desirable
- Understanding of and a passion for the School’s mission and the Montessori philosophy
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing large projects that incorporate working collaboratively with colleagues, parents, alumni, trustees, volunteers, and other members of the School community
- Direct and demonstrable experience with annual giving, major giving, special events, capital campaigns, marketing, communications, and enrollment management
- A vision and interest in being involved in the strategic planning process
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, including public speaking and effective communication with diverse audiences
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, networking, facilitation, and management skills and a proven ability to work with colleagues and constituents of all levels
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to adapt to changing environments and priorities
- Discretion and confidentiality of sensitive material
- Familiarity with Veracross or comparable database
- Flexible schedule, available to work nights and weekends throughout the year
- Strong work ethic and sense of humor
Connections working at Brooklyn Heights Montessori School
About Brooklyn Heights Montessori School
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children in preschool through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of nurturing and well-informed professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The school is housed in a modern facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn. . In the midst of a capital campaign that will help fund a $2M Raise the Roof renovation project, the School will expand its physical plant.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer.