Location: Arden, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
2 openings available.
Christ School seeks an enthusiastic, committed History Teacher to join its faculty in August 2023. Teachers in Christ School’s History Department must be passionate about their discipline and excited about sharing that enthusiasm with students. In addition, they must be ready to juggle the diverse duties associated with life on a busy residential campus.
This History Teacher will:
- Develop appropriate lesson plans and curricula for four History classes per semester (full-year and semester electives).
- Design course work that meets students’ needs and spurs their interest in History and its impact on current events and culture.
- Foster a structured, positive learning environment for all students, both in person and online.
- Participate in interdisciplinary and innovative curricular design and partnership.
- Investigate progressive teaching methods and materials for use in the classroom.
- Monitor student progress and provide regular feedback to students and parents.
Additional Athletic/Afternoon and Residential Life responsibilities will vary based on the candidate’s experience and interests, as well as the school’s needs. Candidates should be prepared to take on a combination of the following:
- Coaching sports teams (JV/Varsity) or leading Outdoor Programs (biking, hiking, climbing, etc.)
- Directing afternoon programs and clubs (Drama, Quiz Bowl, literary magazine, etc.)
- Supervising a dormitory, either as a resident or adjunct faculty member, 1-2 times per week
- Monitoring evening study halls, 1-2 times per week
- Providing transportation and supervision for weekend activities, 1 weekend per month
- Mentoring a small group of students through an advising program
Teaching positions are 10-month, academic-year appointments. Approximately 75% of Christ School’s faculty members live on the scenic 500-acre campus.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your CV with a cover letter or teaching statement indicating a specific interest in teaching at Christ School via this NAIS application interface.
About the school:??
Christ School was founded in 1900 and is affiliated with the Episcopal Church.?Located nine miles south of downtown Asheville, North Carolina, Christ School is an all-boys boarding and day school for grades 8-12.?Students come from 16 states and eight foreign countries.?All world faiths are represented and welcome at Christ School. www.christschool.org
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other legally protected status.
- Sincere interest in educating, encouraging, and inspiring young men
- An undergraduate degree in History; a master’s degree or relevant experience in the field preferred
- Proficiency in the use of technology in the classroom
- The ability to communicate clearly and proactively with students, parents, and colleagues
- A demonstrated desire to learn and implement new teaching methods
- A commitment to Christ School’s Four Pillars: Academic Rigor, Leadership, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor
- Energy, flexibility, and a robust sense of humor
Connections working at Christ School
About Christ School
Christ School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for boys located in Asheville, NC. We offer a competitive academic curriculum, intramural and varsity athletics, spiritual development and a work program open to students of all faiths and backgrounds from around the world.
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, handicap, veteran’s status, or any other legally protected status.