Location: Fulton, Maryland
Type: Full Time
Director of Studies/Curriculum
4 Year Degree
Columbia Academy is seeking a collaborative and hands-on Media Specialist to plan and oversee curriculum development and implementation.
Position Responsibilities These are general responsibilities and are not all-inclusive.
· Promote innovation, creativity, and individual student choice through the selection and use of resources and programs in the library
· Develop a scope and sequence for Library Media for grades TK-8th Grade
· Maintain and update curriculum mapping/scope and sequence on Curriculum Trak
· Design, develop, and present an engaging, age-appropriate course of study in technology and media using a variety of teaching techniques that appeal to various learning styles
· Adhere to educational best practices to include multiple intelligences in lesson delivery while following national, state, and grade level curriculum guidelines
· Prepare materials for lessons, assignments, and assessments; evaluate, correct, and grade student performance
· Monitor student progress throughout the year and evaluate preparedness for transition to next grade level
· Actively participate in faculty meetings, educational conferences, in-service opportunities, workshops, and other training seminars
· Collaborate with other colleagues to build and strengthen connections between student’s research needs, curricular content, and information resources.
· Select, assemble, and provide access to a variety of materials that meet the needs of various learning situations and support curriculum.
· Teach students technological strategies, skills, and perspectives in dedicated technology lessons based on Digital Literacy and Computer Science MA Frameworks/ISTE Standards
· Conduct weekly lessons for TK-8th grade that demonstrate a passion for and extensive knowledge of children’s literature, publishing trends, and authors; promote literacy and reading for fun through special programs such as National Library Week, Literacy Day and suggested reading lists
Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA), or from a Bachelor’s program in library and information studies accredited or recognized by the appropriate national body of another country. This is a full-time, 10-month position.
Our team members embrace the Core Values of Columbia Academy while actively seeking to improve the school community.
Pursue Excellence- Constantly seek personal and professional growth. Be consistent. Continuous improvement is a shared responsibility. There is always a better way to think, to act, and to be.
Committed to Community- Be a team player. Seek what is best for the team and community around you. Be a good citizen.
Be Admirable-Choose humility, honesty, and integrity. Be true to our word. Exude gratitude. Celebrate the success of others.
Do the Right Thing- Be accountable for our actions. Have the courage to spark change. Maintain a positive and peaceful environment.
Spread Joy- Laugh. Have fun. Be kind, appreciative, positive, warm, and welcoming. Make other people feel good.
Connections working at Columbia Academy
About Columbia Academy
Columbia Academy is a private school in Howard County, Maryland serving children ages six weeks through eighth grade. At Columbia Academy, our premier learning environment encompasses an overall teaching approach that cultivates successful learning opportunities which allow every student to become a responsible, valuable member of his or her community.
Our dedicated teachers develop each student’s greatest potential and keep him or her engaged in a diverse, supportive environment. We include families and the community in our educational process to give our students the fullest possible range of stimulating environments, and nurture a cycle of feedback that leaves no educational gap uncovered.