Location: Columbus, Ohio
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
The School: Founded in 1911, Columbus Academy is a coeducational college preparatory day school of over 1,100 students age 3 through grade 12 located on a 231-acre campus in Gahanna, Ohio. Student programs are organized into three divisions: Lower School (Age 3-Grade 5), Middle School (Grades 6-8) and Upper School (Grades 9-12). The school offers a vigorous academic program as part of its mission to educate the whole child – mind, body and character. Columbus Academy faculty and staff members are expected to be continuous learners in their fields, to engage in caring and cooperative partnerships with colleagues and parents, to have a demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, and to help students reach their full potential.
The Position: Columbus Academy seeks a full-time Middle School Science Teacher with responsibilities to begin in August 2023.
Qualifications (preferred candidates will possess the following qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in science
- Experience teaching laboratory-based science in elementary, middle or high school
- Ability to teach life science, physical science, astronomy and chemistry
- A reflective practitioner, committed to a continuous process of self-improvement and lifelong learning
- Leadership qualities to inspire and motivate students
- A passion to teach and attend to the specific needs of middle school-aged children
Position Expectations (the individual selected to this position will be expected to carry out the following responsibilities):
- Teach four to five sections, which meet regularly but not daily
- Assume a limited share of supervisory responsibilities expected of all middle school faculty members
- Serve as a student grade-level advisor to roughly 10 students; prepared to learn and implement middle school advisory curriculum
- Collaborate with departmental colleagues on curriculum design and development
- Provide periodic updates to parents about student progress, via both written reports and
- Make use of technological resources, including the school’s online learning management site for classes and integration of iPads and laptops in classroom activities
- Hold students accountable for the school’s standards of behavior
- Work with others in the school community to support each student’s emotional well-being
Physical Conditions (candidates must be able to manage the following conditions):
- Classroom environment
- Mobility around school buildings and on different floors (handicap accessible)
- Repetitive motion (use of a keyboard)
- Periodic need to move light furniture, hang visuals, carry objects (no more than 40 pounds), etc.
- A non-smoking campus
Legal Requirements: All Columbus Academy employees must pass required criminal records checks. Where appropriate, individuals will also be required to provide proof of academic credentials.
To Apply: Interested candidates should apply online at columbusacademy.org/apply.
Columbus Academy believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic background.