Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Teacher, Art, Senior School (Grade 8 - 12)
Exciting Opportunity for an Extraordinary Teacher
Full-Time, Fixed-term Contract
November 2023 - June 2024
At Crofton House School, we inspire girls to discover and pursue their personal excellence from the first day of junior kindergarten to grade 12 and beyond.
Bound by our belief in the power of all-girls education, Crofton House School fosters a strong sense of community among educators, staff, students and families. Here, everyone can contribute to the strength of our learning environment – including you.
The Arts, Applied Design, Skills & Technology Department at Crofton House School is distinguished by extraordinary teachers who provide a collaborative, inquiry-based, and student-centered approach to teaching. Crofton House School educational programs are designed to develop educated citizens who have the knowledge, skills, and understandings they need to demonstrate active engagement and discipline in creating works of art and resolving creative challenges; students create artwork that is personal, well-informed, and meaningful. The teaching facilities are well equipped and offer bright and resource-rich learning environments.
As an experienced, skilled, and innovative teacher, you inspire students and teachers alike. You are a leader in planning, implementing and assessing student learning. You have a deep knowledge of curriculum development and demonstrate an approach to teaching that is reflective of the way in which girls learn. You optimize the resources available to you. You support all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and bring innovative solutions to learning challenges experienced by students. Your classes are student-centred and dynamic. Students, members of your department, colleagues and parents describe you as approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive. You are energized by what you do. You understand the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a lifelong learner, you demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. You participate actively in the life of the school.
You will find the school to be a professional learning centre. In addition to spending an engaging day with students who are genuinely interested in learning, thinking and playing, teachers are provided with dedicated work time as part of their daily schedule to plan and work collaboratively with others and to stay current in their field.
This role is full-time from November to June 2024, to cover Visual Arts classes, within Art 8, Art 9, Art Studio 10, Art Studio 11 Art Studio 12, AP 2D Art & Design.
- Bring a student-centred, inquiry-based and collaborative approach to the delivery of the B.C. curriculum of Arts and Applied Design Skills & Technology (Art and Digital Film)
- Support the growth and development of individual learners through the delivery of the Crofton House School Ivy and Advisory program
- Build relationships with teachers and staff across the school community
- Be an active and positive participant in the co-curricular program
- Fully engage in the CHS Teacher Professional Growth Plan
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience:
- Essential: B.C. Ministry of Education Certificate or Independent School Certification qualification criteria
- Relevant university qualifications, preferably at the graduate level (e.g. Bachelor of Education plus Bachelor of Visual Arts, or equivalent)
- Experience in an independent school, an asset
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices outlined in the BC Ministry of Education documents
- Knowledge of Visual Arts education such as the “Studio Habits of Mind”
- Engages students using ideas inspired by imagination, inquiry, and purposeful play
- Demonstrable awareness of effective teaching practices for girls and young women
- Collaborative and energetic with a passion for teaching
- Committed to the craft of teaching, best practices, and standards of professional practice
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication skills
- A commitment to continued professional development and growth
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program
Employment and Application Details:
Please note that applicants must be able to legally work in Canada and hold a valid BC Teaching Certificate or be in the process of obtaining a valid certificate.
Apply online at www.croftonhouse.ca/careers. We will review applications as soon as they are submitted. Interviews will begin immediately.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls, please.
About Crofton House School
Crofton House School is a university preparatory day school for girls from junior kindergarten to grade 12. Set on a beautiful ten-acre campus in Vancouver, we offer an inclusive, supportive community of dedicated teachers, involved parents, and enthusiastic students. Collaborative, student-centred, inquiry-based education and world-class facilities create a unique learning environment where each girl can reach her full potential.
Connections working at Crofton House School
About Crofton House School
Crofton House School is a university preparatory day school for girls from junior kindergarten to grade 12. Set on a beautiful ten-acre campus in Vancouver, BC, we offer an inclusive, supportive community of dedicated teachers, involved parents, and enthusiastic students. Collaborative, student-centred, inquiry-based education and world-class facilities create a unique learning environment where each girl can reach her full potential.