Location: Beverly Hills, Michigan
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
4 Year Degree
Position English Teacher
Department Middle School
Available August 2023
Detroit Country Day School is a private, independent, co-educational, non-denominational, preschool through grade 12, college preparatory school focused on a well-rounded liberal arts education. Emphasis on academics, arts, athletics, and character development is prevalent across the curriculum. DCDS believes diversity, equity, and inclusion are educational imperatives for the intellectual, social, and moral growth of every child. We honor the dignity of every human being and value differences that exist and are expressed throughout our vibrant school.
Teach English and Media Literacy to Middle School students in grades 6 – 8 and serve as a grade-level advisor. An affection for students in this age group, an understanding of their needs and energy, and a willingness to work collaboratively with staff, administration, and parents are of utmost importance.
- Provide innovative and comprehensive instruction designed to develop critical thinking, analytical, problem-solving, and higher-order thinking skills.
- Create and manage a caring, supportive, purposeful, and stimulating environment that is conducive to children’s learning.
- Serve as grade-level advisor to a small group of students and contribute to grade-level advisory activities, field trips, and overnight class trips.
- Plan and prepare lessons in order to deliver the curriculum that ensures breadth and balance in all subjects.
- Identify clear teaching objectives and learning outcomes with appropriate challenges and high expectations.
- Organize and manage groups or individual pupils, ensuring differentiation of learning needs, and reflecting all abilities.
- Plan opportunities to develop the social, emotional, and cultural aspects of pupil's learning
- Maintain a regular system of monitoring assessment, record-keeping, and reporting of children’s progress
- Contribute to the development and coordination of the department’s curriculum.
- Communicate and consult with parents over all aspects of their children’s education – academic, social, and emotional
- Promote equality as an integral part of the role and treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
- Recognize health and safety is the responsibility of every employee, take responsible care of self and others, and comply with the School’s Health and Safety policies and all school-specific procedures and rules that apply to this position.
- Athletic coaching and/or extracurricular activities are encouraged.
- Bachelor's degree in English; advanced degree preferred
- A teaching certificate is not necessary but is favorably considered.
- Teaching experience in grades 6 – 8
- Proficient and enthusiastic user of technology
- Professional collegiality and enthusiasm for young people required
- Preference to candidates with coaching experience or expressed willingness to coach
Submit a letter of interest, resume and references, and supporting materials to https://www.dcds.edu/privateschoolmichigan/careers
Connections working at Detroit Country Day School
About Detroit Country Day School
Founded in 1914, Detroit Country Day School is a top-tier, nationally ranked co-educational independent school for students in grades PreK3-12. The School offers an exemplary education rooted in academic rigor and a commitment to the full development of each student’s potential. The School develops citizens and leaders of the world in a culturally diverse environment of academic rigor, competitive athletics, and artistic expression, built on a foundation of service and character.
In 2020, the student community of 1460 includes 300 students in the Lower School in grades PreK3-grade 3; 500 students in the Middle School in grades 4-8 and 660 students in the Upper School in grades 9-12. The School has an extremely diverse student population, of which approximately 40% identify as students of color. In all three divisions, Detroit Country Day School is known for its strong academics and the opportunities available to students in outstanding offerings in athletics, dance, instrumental and vocal music, drama, and the visual arts. Students achieve regional, state, and national recognition for their accomplishments in academics, the arts, and athletics, as well as their participation in ...community service. The School has approximately 270 employees. Sixty-nine percent of faculty members have earned advanced degrees.
Detroit Country Day School’s facilities are situated in two locations approximately three miles apart and less than one half hour from the center of Detroit. The Upper School (9-12) and Middle School (4-8) share adjoining campuses in Beverly Hills, where the administrative offices, facility services, safety and security services, and the main arts and athletics facilities are located. The Lower School (PreK-3) is located nearby in neighboring Bloomfield Hills. Both Beverly Hills and Bloomfield Hills are in Oakland County, which has the highest per capita income of any county in the state of Michigan and is one of the most affluent counties in the United States.
The Detroit Country Day Upper School offers a strong and varied program that provides numerous opportunities for students to demonstrate their individual strengths and develop their potential. The rigorous college-preparatory program, which includes Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each discipline in addition to a diverse selection of electives, prepares students for college and beyond. In addition to a series of honors and Advanced Placement courses, students at Detroit Country Day Upper School may pursue an International Baccalaureate Diploma.