Location: Middleburg, Virginia
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Job Description: Accountant
Classification: Full Time, Salaried, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Finance
The Accountant reports to and supports the Director of Finance and is a key member of the Business Office team. The Accountant’s primary responsibility will be to perform complex and accurate fiscal functions for the School including but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, student billing, journal entry postings, and reconciliations. In addition, the Accountant will assist the account reconciliations, reporting and audit preparation. There will be various special projects and events, outside of everyday tasks, that the Accountant will be asked to participate in to support the Business Office and its collaboration with all stakeholders.
- Maintain orderly records of financial transactions, in compliance with school policies and local, state, and federal requirements.
- Compilation of monthly general ledger, including but not limited to: processing daily remote deposits; cash receipt and accounts payable coding and data entry; student billing; preparing and processing journal entries; analysis and reconciliation of accounts; and sending budget reports to department managers.
- Work collaboratively with the Office of Institutional Advancement to ensure gift receipts are accurately and consistently coded. Reconcile gift receipts and post to the general ledger.
- Review staff credit card receipts for proper coding and compliance with School policies; reconcile charges with the statement; and download transactions to the general ledger.
- Become a knowledgeable/advanced user of the Blackbaud and Odin systems to ensure efficiency and accuracy of entries, reporting, and importing/exporting of required data.
- Assist with preparation for the annual 990 filing and financial audit; the completion of annual surveys and reports; annual 1099 processing; and maintenance of files according to the School’s record retention policy.
- Support the overall needs of the Business Office by completing special projects as needed.
No job description can anticipate all responsibilities as such; there may be other assigned duties.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field preferred.
- Blackbaud experience preferred. Advanced knowledge and experience working with financial systems and other technology applications, such as Excel, highly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully manage multiple projects and work under deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships with multiple constituencies.
- High degree of professionalism, discretion and confidentiality
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
All prospective employees must be able to clear a fingerprint and background check and TB screening.
Our community welcomes and celebrates the diverse histories, experiences, and identities of each of its members, and we believe that shared experiences - formal and informal - within a diverse community foster authentic human relationships and growth.
Foxcroft School strongly encourages the use of COVID-19 vaccines to safeguard the health of our students in a boarding school program, our employees, our families, visitors, and the community at large.
Physical Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position an incumbent is required to regularly remain sedentary for long periods of time in meetings and while processing information and paper work both manually and on a computer.
The employee is required to stand; walk; use hands and arms to reach and hands to type and manipulate a computer keyboard and mouse. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus. Additionally, the incumbent must be able to converse in clear English both written and orally, over a telephone and in person. The employee is regularly required to listen, physically direct, and speak.
Occasionally, an incumbent may be required to lift up to 25 pounds, traverse uneven terrain and climb stairs while moving about campus, bend and stoop. Work hours may vary and include days, nights, and weekends. Employees may be required to drive a vehicle for student needs and/or on School business. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet; however, variations in noise level may occur when the employee attends school functions such as assemblies, school dances, and other events.
Connections working at Foxcroft School
About Foxcroft School
Founded in 1914, Foxcroft School is a college-preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 9-12. The school is located on 500 acres in Middleburg, Virginia, 50 miles west of Washington, D.C. It is accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools.
The Student Body
Foxcroft is, by design, a small, residential school. The 2015-16 student body is 70 percent boarding students with a total of 167 girls from 18 states, Washington D.C., and 14 countries. Seventeen percent are U.S. students of color, 25 percent international students and more than 30 percent receive financial aid. More than 15 percent of the students are related to alumnae -- an impressive testament to the relationship between the School and its graduates.
Foxcroft curriculum offerings number 83 courses and 14 Advanced Placement (AP) courses, as well as academic support through the Learning Center and the Math and English Labs. In 2015, 21 students -- including 10 members of the (then) Junior Class, earned AP Scholar recognition from the College Board. Seven girls earned AP Scholar with Distinction Award ...status by achieving an average of at least 3.5 (out of five) on all the AP exams taken and scores of 3 or higher on five or more tests. Nationwide, only 22 percent of students who take AP Exams earn such recognition. (AP Scholars must earn a grade of three or higher on three or more AP Exams.)
The student:faculty ratio is 6:1 and 83 percent of the teaching faculty have advanced degrees. About 85 percent of the faculty live on campus and all are available outside of class for extra help, review, and additional work. A diverse group, 16 percent of our classroom teachers are people of color/multiracial, and individual members have lived and worked all over the world, including Egypt, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, and Switzerland.
Above and Beyond
Foxcroft is at the forefront of STEM education and inspiring girls to pursue these vital fields of study: More than 35 percent of its 2014 graduates chose STEM fields as their majors in college -- compared to 20 percent nationally. Science and Math faculty incorporate new teaching strategies, technologies, projects, and service learning into students’ lives and School facilities include STEM lab, an engineering workshop, an Animal Room and interactive whiteboards in every classroom. In addition, the Read Observatory houses a Newtonian-Cassegrain reflecting telescope, two 8-inch Celestron telescopes, and astrophotography and solar-observing accessories.
Members of the Class of 2015 received 128 acceptances to 85 colleges and universities across the country and around the world. See a full list of acceptances in the College Counseling section of our website.