Location: Fryeburg, Maine
Type: Temp to Full Time
Fryeburg Academy’s Outdoor Learning and Research Center gardener supports agricultural programming by planting, maintaining, harvesting, and preparing produce that is used by FA’s food services. Through collaboration with the Garden Manager, the OLRC Director, food services, students, and faculty, the Farm to School Instructor works with students in special school day programs and regular after school programming, providing both supervision and coaching in the garden and kitchen as well as lessons in agriculture and food preparation during that after school program. This individual has a specialized understanding of the process of growing produce in northern New England, and an interest in mentoring adolescents that want to learn more about gardening. This hourly role is intended to begin no later than April 24, 2023 and end by Nov 18th, 2023, at approximately 16 hours per week, with an emphasis on instruction during the school year and on gardening and 1:1 mentorship during the summer.
Specific duties fall among the following essential functions of the job:
- Planning lessons related to agriculture, local food systems, and related culinary topics and practices
- Communicate with the gardeners and garden manager to coordinate lessons with ongoing garden initiatives
- Supervise students in the farm to school programming as well as the garden internship program
- Assist with garden setup, tilling, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, and preparing throughout the growing season
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Experience managing a farm or large garden in northern New England or similar climate
- Experience working with adolescents
Κnowledge, Skills, Dispositions:
- Ability to work independently in a farm or garden setting
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Certification or experience with food safety is a plus
- Professionalism and positive interpersonal skills
All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Connections working at Fryeburg Academy
About Fryeburg Academy
Fryeburg Academy is an independent secondary school that serves a widely diverse population of local day students and boarding students from across the nation and around the world. The Academy believes that a strong school community provides the best conditions for learning and growth. Therefore, we strive to create a supportive school environment that promotes respect, tolerance, and cooperation, and prepares students for responsible citizenship. Within this context, the Academy’s challenging and comprehensive academic program, enriched by a varied co-curriculum, provides the knowledge and skills necessary for success in higher education and the workplace.