Geffen Academy educators approach teaching as an intellectual profession of the highest order, one in which knowledge is not only transmitted but created. Geffen Academy educators possess a sophisticated and reflective understanding of their discipline and a record of achievement which demonstrates their ability to utilize and contribute to the robust connections we have with UCLA, a world-class research institution. Educators’ work is guided by our school’s mission to prioritize proven educational practices while also recognizing that teaching is a complex intellectual endeavor that defies rigid codification. Geffen Academy educators seek to create trusting and caring relationships with their students and with their larger community.
The Mathematics Department Chair will be responsible for the design of an excellent program of secondary school instruction. In addition to being a master educator, the Math Department Chair will lead in the creation of a course of study that offers students the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills, and commitments to bring their own ideas for projects, programs, and processes into fruition. The Department Chair will direct the recruitment and management of a team of educators with complementary skills and areas of expertise, so that the department offers a rich educational program responsive to the needs and interests of Geffen Academy's students. The Department Chair is primarily responsible for overseeing the educational program of the department, which includes the department's curriculum, the growth and development of the department's educators, and the overall evaluation of the department's functioning and mission.
This work will require expertise in K-12 Mathematics pedagogy, along with dedication, enthusiasm, flexibility, and creativity. In addition to being a master educator, the Mathematics Department Chair will lead in the creation of a course of study that takes advantage of the school’s partnership with an eminent research university.
Core Functions & Duties
• Establish and operate a curriculum program that offers every student the opportunity and support to engage in independent and collaborative inquiry-based work, centered around the Geffen Academy's mission, core values, and focus on creating students who excel at asking and answering important questions of their own interest.
• Articulate the department's strategies in achieving the mission and goals of the school and to set departmental objectives, assessments, and policies accordingly in cooperation with the members of the department.
• Participate productively as a member of the Department Chair group in order to ensure the integration of and effectiveness of the academic program.
• Serve as a role model to encourage educator’s self-evaluation, professional growth, scholarship, and effective training.
• Communicate and coordinate the teaching objectives, curriculum, and resources used across the department, including the materials, methods and means of student assessment.
• Evaluate and assist with the performance, progress and processes of each educator in the department, provide constructive and consistent feedback and thoughtful, reflective dialogues.
• Publicize within the school community the scholarship and endeavors of both the students and educators within the department and give recognition to exceptional achievement.
• Assist in the search for an evaluation of candidates to fill vacancies within the department.
• Coordinate the department's budget and ensure department expenditures are appropriate, within policy and procedure and do not exceed the budget allotted for the department.
• Liaise with appropriate Geffen Academy educators to support students in Math both academically and socially.
• Collaborate with relevant UCLA faculty in devising programs that enable Geffen Academy's students to take advantage of the school’s relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation.
• Teach 3 course sections and provide student and parent-facing feedback including comment writing and grading.
• Department chair will designate and organize substitutions and substitution policies for Educators in their respective departments. Partner with the Faculty Services Coordinator as needed.
• Provide Educators the Statement of Work Assignments prior to the beginning of instruction per the Geffen Educator MOU. Issue modified statements as needed.
• Consult with Human Resources, the Chief Administrative Officer, and the Dean of Faculty for any disciplinary related action as appropriate.
Additional Functions & Duties
• Collaborate with other educators and Department Chairs in the creation of and revisions to a school program that meets the need and interests of the school’s students.?
• Assist the Head of School and Admissions Director in student recruitment activities.?
• Evaluate and choose books, digital materials, other academic resources, including experiential opportunities, such as field trips.?
• Prepare and analyze the Math curriculum in the context of University of California course approval requirements, the needs of the students, and the anticipated expectations of accrediting agencies.?
• Recruit and interview qualified candidates for available positions within the department.?
• Regularly report to the Dean of Faculty and Associate Head of School on the professional performance of department employees.?
• Communicate information about student progress to relevant student services colleagues.?
• Coordinate department representation at parent evenings and recruitment events.?
• Coordinate interdisciplinary instructional programs?
• Orient new Educators and establish appropriate mentoring relationships for all department members.?
• Assign course responsibilities within the department.?
• Plan and organize meetings with the department and with grade-level teaching teams.?
• Evaluate department members in coordination with the appropriate Division Head and Dean of Faculty; propose continuing professional development activities for department colleagues based on assessments of their areas of strength and challenge.?
• Be available for personal and professional guidance to all members in the department?Recommend to Academic Advisors the most suitable course(s) in the department for students.?
• Be available to students, parents/guardians/caretakers and Administration for any and all department related issues.?
• Maintain an up-to-date understanding of math initiatives, communications, and extra-curricular opportunities and competitions within secondary schools in California and beyond.?
• Track and maintain educator attendance and absences. Ensure time sheets are submitted per policy and procedure on a timely basis. Must verify integrity and accuracy of reports.
• Develop and implement incoming and returning student math course placement process.
• Collaborate with Department to ensure that incoming and returning student math course placement designation is complete and accurate according to master schedule development timeline.
• Ensure development of course-standardized final assessments.
• Maintain strict adherence to student accommodations as outlined on student support plans, especially as it relates to the provision of extended time for assessments.