Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $60,000+ based on experience
About Harlem Academy:
Harlem Academy is an independent school (grades K through 8) that drives equity of opportunity for promising students, guiding them to thrive at the highest academic levels and one day make a mark on the world. Please peruse our website (www.harlemacademy.org) for more information about our school culture, family partnership, new campus, strong results – and everything else that makes Harlem Academy uniquely positioned in the New York City education landscape.
Our incoming elementary lead teacher must possess outstanding skills for maximizing learning and a commitment to helping nurture a school that rivals the best private schools in New York City. The elementary lead teacher has the following core responsibilities:
- Teach reading and writing with the Benchmark Advance curriculum as a core guide, complemented by a variety of literature selections and other materials, and teach math using the Math in Focus curriculum.
- Write and execute rigorous, engaging, culturally relevant, and developmentally appropriate lesson plans that challenge all students, including advanced students already performing 1 to 2 years above grade level, to learn and grow.
- Use evaluation and a data-driven understanding of your students to drive decisions.
- Manage routines and environments to ensure safety, academic performance, holistic growth, and a warm and inviting classroom culture that reinforces our school creed.
- Build genuine relationships with families through formal and informal written correspondence, meetings, volunteer opportunities, and overall collaboration.
- Reflect on and improve professional practices with mission-focus, depth, and honesty.
- Collaborate with colleagues in innovative program development, coaching, and publication of articles on best practices using a thoughtful, team-oriented approach.
Three or more years of experience and a relevant master’s degree are preferred.
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Kristy Castro, Primary and Elementary Director, at email@example.com (Attn: Elementary Lead). The cover letter should be no more than two pages and describe your capacity for contribution. Harlem Academy offers professional development opportunities, benefits, 10 weeks of paid vacation, and salary scaled to experience and demonstrated skills. This position starts late August 2023.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Harlem Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will contribute to our diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups.
Connections working at Harlem Academy
About Harlem Academy
Harlem Academy is an independent school (grades K to 8) that drives equity of opportunity for promising students, guiding them to thrive at the highest academic levels and one day make a mark on the world. By combining selective admissions, full-need scholarships, and a rigorous curriculum, Harlem Academy propels traditionally overlooked students to the top echelons of academic performance. We measure our success and our students’ success with the same metric: the extent to which each child is meeting his or her potential within an advanced academic environment.