Location: Kamuela, Hawaii
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
The mission of Hawai'i Preparatory Academy (HPA) is to provide exceptional learning opportunities in a diverse community honoring the traditions of Hawaii. Our work is grounded in HPA’s Core Values of Integrity, Respect, Pursuit of Excellence, and Wonder.
Located on Hawaii Island, one of the most beautiful places on the planet, HPA is a co-educational, college-preparatory, day and boarding school that serves kindergarten through 12th grade. Our students live and study within rare landscapes, precious ecosystems, and a mix of world cultures. We embrace these attributes to create unique programs, research partnerships, and growth opportunities to empower students with a sense of purpose and the real-world skills to explore and reinvent that purpose over a lifetime. HPA's goal is to be among the greenest of schools and to undertake a leadership role in sustainability education, where our campus serves as a living laboratory that sends engaged citizens and agents of change into the world.
We seek individuals who believe in our school mission and core values and who share our commitment to the children of Hawaii Island as well as the dynamic young people who come to HPA from around the world.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We are seeking a highly motivated, energetic, reliable individual with a strong work ethic to join our community of committed educators to work as a faculty member in our Upper School English Department. We seek candidates who will bring vitality and experience to the full range of courses in the department. We are especially looking for candidates with experience in teaching honors and AP level English courses to round out our English department.
Successful engagement with the age level and experience teaching English are essential qualities for the successful candidate. Enthusiasm, depth of content-area knowledge, and eagerness to engage with colleagues over pedagogical and curricular matters are crucial qualities that HPA seeks in candidates.
All Upper School teachers at HPA are expected to teach four classes, lead or assist in two athletic or co-curricular season activities, and lead an advisory group according to HPA's curriculum and mission. Our teachers work with students on the continuous development of skills, attitudes, and knowledge required to make effective college, career, and life choices.
All HPA faculty and administrators are required to participate in school-hosted CPR, First Aid, and 14-passenger school bus driver training (in pursuit of a CDL license) and to maintain these credentials throughout their employment at HPA.
This is a faculty (10-month) position.
- A B.A. or Master’s degree in English or related field
- At least three years of experience as an English teacher
- Experience working with high school students
- Full understanding of differentiated instructional strategies across the curriculum
- Familiarity with using Learning Management System technology
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, admin, and parents
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to collaborate with colleagues and desire to work as a team player with faculty, staff, and administrators
- Ability to interact professionally with parents and community members
- A willingness to add meaningfully to the school’s co-curricular programs
- Maturity and personal stability sufficient for a demanding position
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic and an all-for-one/one-for-all “team player” attitude
- A proven ability to be a role model for young people, both in and out of the classroom
- Experience working in an independent school/boarding school environment
- Experience working with international students
- Experience coaching or leading a co-curricular
- Experience working with a lens of Hawaiian culture, sustainability, and DEIB in a curriculum
REPORTS TO: Upper School Principal
JOB STATUS: Exempt
HPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, arrest and court record, credit history, status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence, among other things, as provided for by State and Federal law status, arrest and court record, credit history, status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence, among other things, as provided for by State and Federal law.
Connections working at Hawaii Preparatory Academy
About Hawaii Preparatory Academy
Hawai`i Preparatory Academy, founded in 1949, is an independent coeducational school providing a full range of opportunities for students from kindergarten through grade 12. Our boarding program admits students in grades 9 through 12.
The school has two campuses in the town of Waimea (Kamuela) on the island of Hawai`i. The Lower and Middle Schools are located on nine acres in the heart of Hawai`i's ranching country, while the Upper School is located just two miles away on a 200-acre campus at the foot of the Kohala Mountains.