Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
La Pietra - Hawaii School for Girls seeks a full-time high school English teacher for the school year 2023-2024. This is an interim position, expected to begin late July 2023 through early June 2024.
The ideal candidate will hold a degree in the subject area or a related field, have teaching experience with high school students, preferably in an independent school, and be knowledgeable of best practices in education.
- Teach up to three sections per term within a 4 x 4 block schedule
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and class advisor
- Contribute to the school’s co-curricular program, e.g. as an athletic coach or club sponsor.
- Work with students, families, and school staff to promote student success and ensure student well-being
- Participate in and contribute to general faculty work, such as meetings, planning, student supervision, and professional development
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in subject area, Education, or related field
- Evidence demonstrating successful experience in teaching any of the grade levels listed above, with willingness to teach both middle school and high school grade levels
- Willingness to teach within a block schedule and with a mastery approach to instruction
- Evidence demonstrating contributions to a school environment beyond classroom instruction
- Evidence demonstrating a successful track record as a positive, charismatic adult presence in the lives of young people, with an awareness of the role boundaries between teacher, student, and parent
- Evidence demonstrating a successful track record as a positive, productive colleague in working with other adults in a school setting
- Understanding and appreciation of the culture, history, and diversity of Hawai‘i
- A personal demeanor that demonstrates empathy, industriousness, and kindness
- Physical presence and ability to begin working in Hawai‘i no later than July 31, 2023
- Advanced degree in subject area, Education, or related field
- Evidence of a successful track record of teaching in both middle and high school grade levels
- Previous experience teaching within a block schedule and/or in a mastery or competency-based environment
- Understanding and appreciation of single-gender school contexts, particularly an all-girls independent school
- Previous experience as a faculty advisor of a school club or coach of a team
- Evidence demonstrating additional expertise in any of the following fields: general educational research; learning neuroscience; educational psychology; curriculum and instruction; diversity, equity, and inclusion; educational technology implementation; or career experience in an area unrelated to teaching that enriches instructional practice
- Prolonged periods of sitting or standing
- Limited physical effort required
- Work is normally performed in an office environment; may occasionally be outdoors
Following the instructions below is an important step to ensure your application is considered
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- a cover letter indicating interest and describing potential fit
- a La Pietra employment application form, available on the school’s website: https://www.lapietra.edu/about/careers
Materials may be submitted via email to: email@example.com and may be addressed to Dawn Ijiri, Director of Human Resources. Please include the term “SY 23-24 HS English” in email subject field.