Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Type: Full Time
MICDS has a rich and distinctive history spanning more than 150 years. A leader in independent education, MICDS is a college-prep, coeducational school for grades JK-12. Our mission is to help students discover their unique talents, preparing them for higher education and a life of purpose and service as engaged citizens in our ever-changing world.
MICDS offers employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits plan, including a generous 403(b) retirement plan where the School contributes 8% of salary with an employee’s 3% contribution; medical, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts and long term care insurance; life insurance and short-term and long-term disability insurances; tuition benefit; paid leaves; access to a fitness center; and free lunch.
For immediate consideration, complete our online application at https://www.micds.org/our-school/career-opportunities/ and upload a copy of your cover letter, resume, and statement of teaching philosophy.
MICDS is seeking a full-time Middle and Upper School French instructor for the 2023-24 academic year. The ideal candidate should bring a collaborative nature and a student-centered approach to the classroom, as well as a commitment to culturally responsive teaching practices to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners. Preference is given to candidates with at least three years of teaching experience and who hold a bachelor's degree in French, master’s preferred. Experience teaching French using immersion pedagogies as advocated through ACTFL Standards is essential and native or near native fluency is required. Our school community encourages ongoing professional growth that supports a strong interest in implementing new curriculum and pedagogies aligned with highly effective teaching practices as well as a commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse group of learners. Experience with a 1:1 tablet laptop environment or the willingness to effectively integrate technology in the curriculum is essential.
- Teaches four sections ranging from novice to intermediate proficiency levels of French: Two sections of Middle School eighth grade French 100B and two sections of Upper School French 300.
- Works with the department chair and curricular team to plan, document, evaluate, and revise curriculum, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
- Prepares, selects, and develops course materials that fit into the framework of a one-to-one laptop environment.
- Creates effective assessment tools to support student achievement and growth.
- Evaluates and grades students’ class work, assignments, and papers.
- Uses effective classroom management techniques to ensure effective learning.
- Consistently communicates student progress.
- Attends faculty, grade level and departmental meetings, and supervisory duties.
- Collaborates effectively with departmental and grade level teams as well as student support service personnel.
- Participates in the MICDS professional development framework and pursues outside opportunities to stay current with best practices and maintain subject-area expertise.
- Serves as grade level advisor for 10-12 students and implements grade level programming and advisory curriculum.
- Assists and supports students outside of class as needed.
- Assures effective two-way communication at all levels of responsibility.
- Serves on divisional and school-wide curriculum and program committees.
- Additional community responsibilities such as coaching and/or club sponsorship.
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the School’s discretion.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in subject matter required and Master preferred.
- Ability to work in an environment that embraces a diverse community of students, educators, parents, and alums.
- Experience working in a one-to-one laptop environment or relevant technology skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must enjoy working and learning with children.
- A criminal history and background check is required and must be successfully completed prior to employment.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled --classroom environment.
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
Connections working at MICDS - Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School
About MICDS - Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School
Founded in 1859, MICDS is a nonprofit, independent, preparatory school offering non-sectarian education to qualified students regardless of national origin, race or religion. MICDS consists of the Ronald S. Beasley Lower School, for grades Junior Kindergarten-4; Middle School, offering a coordinate model of single-gender education in the core curricular classes, for students in grades 5-8; and the Upper School for grades 9-12. MICDS is recognized as one of the nation's leaders in independent education.