Location: San Rafael, California
Type: Part Time
Part-Time Position Beginning August 2023
Mark Day School seeks an experienced and collaborative Spanish teacher. Join us and teach in a community characterized by academic excellence, student-centered teaching methods, close collaboration between colleagues, a block schedule, a 1:1 laptop program, and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist education. The successful applicant for this position will help advance the school’s mission with positive energy, creativity, dedication to a diverse and equitable community, love for children, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to collaborate in partnership with the wider school community.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Challenge all students with high academic and behavioral expectations while maintaining a climate of responsibility, safety, kindness, enthusiasm, and fun.
- Model personal standards of excellence: warmth, clarity of expectations, consistency, and accountability.
- Demonstrate equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices.
- Apply a wide range of highly effective approaches to teaching, balancing enduring and innovative best practices.
- Engage in ongoing professional development.
- Form supportive and responsive relationships with students and families.
- Differentiate instruction to challenge every learner.
- Build a strong, positive classroom community in which students advocate for themselves and others.
- Provide constructive, timely, specific feedback that fosters a growth mindset.
- Use available technology to enhance student learning, faculty collaboration, and responsive communication.
- Collaborate with the wider community to enhance the students’ experience, including specialists in technology, information literacy, drama, art, music, P.E., world language, Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and counseling, global education, sustainability, service-learning, and diversity.
- Observe, evaluate, encourage and monitor students’ academic and social development and progress.
- Communicate regularly with students, parents, and colleagues regarding students’ progress and needs.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Back to School Night
- Parent information evenings
- Committee work
- Weekly faculty meetings
- Recess supervision
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Relevant teaching experience
- Knowledge of and experience with relevant technology
- Proven cultural competence in a community committed to diversity, equity, and social justice.
Compensation and Salary Range
Mark Day School places faculty on a published internal salary scale with steps based on years of experience in education. Full-time employees also receive individual benefits through the school as well as generous professional development support. The Mark Day faculty salary range for full-time faculty positions is $30,000-$60,000 depending on experience.
More About Mark Day School
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. The school is an equal-opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and multiculturalism. Mark Day School’s compensation and benefits are very competitive by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website (www.markdayschool.org).
Interested candidates should visit our website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Connections working at Mark Day School
About Mark Day School
Founded in 1980, Mark Day School is an independent, all-gender, K-8 school located in the Bay Area in San Rafael, CA, with an enrollment of 380 students. Innovative, inclusive, and full of heart, Mark Day School unites an enriched, challenging academic program with a kind and inclusive community. The school nurtures a love of learning, engagement in the community, and development of compassion and an ethical framework. Students learn and practice the intellectual, social, and emotional skills they will apply to the unique challenges and opportunities of their time; graduates stand out not only for their intellectual curiosity and pursuit of ideas but also for their joy of learning and a deep sense of responsibility to be active, engaged citizens.
Mark Day School has established a consistent practice of thoughtful innovation in its curricular program, focusing on school-wide structural approaches to develop current century skills and concepts including four cross-disciplinary literacies: cross-cultural literacy, media and information literacy, eco-literacy, and social and emotional literacy. Highlights include the award-winning Media Literacy program; well-established local and ...global partnerships with the Hamilton School, Marin Head Start, eSibonisweni School and Kliptown Youth Program in South Africa, Beijing Experimental Primary School #2 in China, and Pan American School in Costa Rica, among others; Boxlight and FrontRow technology in every classroom, with a one-to-one laptop program beginning in sixth grade; Mandarin and Spanish language beginning in kindergarten; an integrated Social and Emotional Learning program; a commitment to differentiation across the school; and more.
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. Mark Day School is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, inclusion, and social justice. Mark Day School salary and benefits are very competitive by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website (www.markdayschool.org), where you may also find the 2022 Strategic Plan.