Location: Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
For the 2023-24 school year, Montgomery School is seeking a full time prekindergarten through fourth grade music teacher. The primary goal of this position is to develop students' musical fundamentals through a variety of musical experiences, while encouraging the ability to collaborate and create. We are seeking an energetic, ambitious, hard-working, and talented musical individual, who is good at connecting with students, faculty, and the community. The instructor should be creative in the use of age-appropriate techniques and technologies, strong in communication with parents of students of these ages, possess strong organizational skills, and excited to work with children.
Montgomery teachers are bold, creative, and compassionate and seek to develop the same dispositions in their students. Our teachers are skilled communicators with students, families, colleagues, and community partners. Joining our faculty means you will grow and shape the unique learning environment defined by Montgomery School’s mission and values. Montgomery teachers embrace signature strengths of the school including outdoor learning, character education, and student focus on engaging and positively impacting their world. Montgomery teachers focus on developing the whole child.
This is a 10 month position beginning August 15, 2023, which reports directly to the Lower School Head.
The music teacher’s primary responsibility is to teach music to our youngest students, while providing a responsible, supportive, and safe environment for the students. The position has many functions, these include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Arts Department Chair and subject area partner in further developing music programs for PreK through Grade 8 to cover a developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Lead rehearsals and performances, primarily utilizing piano as a teaching tool
- Direct the grades 4 and 5 chorus
- Instruct students in proper vocal/singing approaches
- Communicate individually and collectively as needed with parents, while also providing consistent updates to the school website to share what is happening in the classroom for all grade levels
- Complete written semester reports twice a year, with individual student comments
- Select and prepare music for weekly morning Chapels, the Holiday Concerts, and the Spring Music Concert
- Integrate music technology into music curriculum
- Collaborate with classroom teachers in cross-curricular lessons and projects
- Participate in extracurricular activities across the school as appropriate
- Share new modes of learning music fundamentals through iPad apps and technologies.
- Collaborate with colleagues and positively participate in professional development, adult learning initiatives, and program development opportunities afforded by the school
- Actively promote outdoor learning, character education, inclusion and belonging, and student focus on authentic engagement
- Other duties as assigned which support the mission and high functioning of the school including supervision of transportation and recess as needed
Experience teaching music to children in schools is preferred. Candidates should possess an interest in thinking boldly, solving creatively, and leading compassionately in the service of children.
The school is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring.
Connections working at Montgomery School
About Montgomery School
Since 1915, it has been Montgomery School's mission to provide each student with an extraordinary education in mind, body, and character. Montgomery School combines a well-rounded, forward-thinking education with traditional values so graduates are not just academically curious and engaged; they also are confident and compassionate individuals who are excited about making a difference in the 21st century global community. Students thrive with individual attention from exceptional, caring teachers. From family-style lunches, where students eat with faculty and staff, to nonsectarian chapels, where the entire School gathers as a community, students feel safe and accepted as they develop the confidence they need for lifelong independence.
Montgomery School Mission Statement:
“Montgomery School ignites each child’s love of learning and fosters their individual talents during the most formative years in order to prepare them for future success.”