Location: Dallas, Texas
Type: Full Time
Preston Hollow Presbyterian School is seeking a full-time 4th grade homeroom teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. Successful candidates will have experience in teaching in the upper elementary classroom setting. The homeroom teacher is required to lead small group instruction for reading and math, whole group instruction for social studies, humanities, and writing, while supporting each child in the homeroom learning environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The job description below is not designed to cover all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position
- Implement schoolwide curriculums, including reading, math, writing, and humanities.
- Prepare motivating and stimulating lessons that reflect knowledge of subject matter, best practices, and child development for students with learning differences.
- Employ a variety of teaching methods and differentiated instruction to engage different learning styles and ability levels in the classroom.
- Monitor, evaluate, and document student progress and growth.
- Create a classroom culture that is engaging, student-focused, and effectively managed.
- Effectively and consistently partner and communicate with parents, colleagues, and students.
- Collaborate with reading, math, and enrichment teachers to maintain student progress and goals.
Participate in professional development, reflect on teaching, and be open to new ideas regarding current best practices in education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency with common computer programs used in elementary schools, such as Google Classroom, Google Chromebooks, Student Information Systems, Multimedia applications, etc.
- Experience with, or willingness to learn, new reading, math, and writing curricula and online components.
- Ability to design and deliver lessons based on best practices for reading, writing, and social studies instruction.
- Ability to adapt teaching style for learners with diverse learning styles.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to prepare and implement lessons based on PHPS reading goals and objectives
- Strong classroom management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with students, parents, and fellow staff members.
- Positive, professional, collaborative work style.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s degree preferred
- 2-4 year’s teaching experience, preferably in reading instruction at the elementary level
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend Staff Development Meetings
- Attend Student Support Team meetings
- Assist with student monitoring duty rotation
- Attend school events, such as music programs, all school party, graduation
- Attend weekly chapel services
Connections working at Preston Hollow Presbyterian School
About Preston Hollow Presbyterian School
For 60 years, Preston Hollow Presbyterian School has been dedicated to educating children of average to superior intelligence with mild to moderate learning differences in grades K-6.
The learning differences our school serves include reading disorder (dyslexia), auditory processing disorder, oral language disorder, written language disorder, and mathematical disability.
The school was founded in 1962 in response to the needs of the Dallas community as the first outreach mission of Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church. PHPS is a non-profit, private coeducational day school accredited by Cognia, formerly AdvancEd. Students are accepted without regard to race, sex, religion, or national origin.
Preston Hollow Presbyterian School's mission is to provide a nurturing, highly personalized school environment that cherishes and supports qualified students with learning differences while challenging them to achieve their full potential. We are committed to facilitating our students' return to mainstream education equipped with strategies for future learning experiences.