Location: El Cerrito, California
Type: Full Time
Overview of School
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students' academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop the courage to become more than great students, but great people. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position:
The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head. As Middle School Librarian and 5th grade advisor. This teacher will work in close collaboration with Team 5 and the Library department. This is a full time position that will require teaching in-person.
Responsibilities of the Library Job:
- Help manage the day-to-day operations of the library, including circulation, overdue notices and lost book reimbursement requests, collection development, cataloging, readers’ advisory, research assistance, online services, supporting students in reading resources, and student tech support
- Teach 5th grade library skills class which includes:
- Information Literacy skills such as navigating the library and library website, using our online catalog and databases, online search strategies, resource evaluation and MLA citation format.
- Digital Citizenship
- Literature Appreciation
- Assist in resource gathering and teaching periodic 7th and 8th grade research skills classes in conjunction with research projects throughout the year; assist in book talks launching independent reading projects for 7th and 8th grade humanities classes
- Collaborate with the 6th grade library teacher to create year-round library programming, including all-school reading challenges, interactive displays, author visits, Screenfree Week activities, Edible Books festival, and summer reading
- Provide library supervision as needed during recesses, lunch, etc.
Responsibilities of Advisor Job:
- Lead a 5th grade advisory - oversee the overall well-being of approximately 12 students, lead daily morning meetings, communicate with families, and partner with learning specialist and other teachers to support each advisee in their overall success at school
- Lead parent-teacher conferences
- Support the 5th grade team with grade wide special events, field trips, projects, and initiatives
- Run study hall for your advisees
- Co-chaperone multi-day overnight field trip
The candidate must have:
- Appreciation and desire to work with middle school students
- Knowledge of early adolescents and their social emotional development
- Knowledge of and passion for educational best practice in library and information science, including:
- Broad knowledge of and passion for children's and young adult literature
- Fluency in using and teaching information literacy skills, media literacy, and digital citizenship
- Collection development or materials management
- Ability to create an inclusive classroom environment for diverse perspectives that recognizes that identity and emotions matter
- A nuanced understanding of DEI/social justice knowledge from a personal or programmatic perspective
- Ability to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally with a diverse constituency of caregivers, students, and colleagues.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Takes initiative and leadership roles with a team approach that includes the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse constituencies.
In addition to required qualifications, desirable additional skills include:
- Familiarity with Learning Ally and Overdrive
- Knowledge of educational technology to support teaching and learning
- Participation on committees as needed and appropriate
- Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of middle school life, e.g., team and staff meetings, attendance at school functions, chaperoning school trips, committee work, recess duties, etc.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included. Our 2023-24 salary schedule can be found here.
How to Apply
Email a resume, a one-page cover letter, and a list of three references with contact information to:
Nathan Tanaka, Middle School Division Head
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (include “Librarian and 5th Grade Advisor” in the subject line)
Prospect Sierra School is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
Connections working at Prospect Sierra School
About Prospect Sierra School
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Everyday our talented teachers connect students' academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop courage to become great people, not just great students. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.