Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Ravenscroft School is an all-gender independent day school in Raleigh, NC, with approximately 1,205 students enrolled in grades preschool through 12th grade.
We want to welcome an Upper School Computer Science Teacher into our community of educators who actively strive to be diverse, equitable, and inclusive. Our candidates should demonstrate empathy, knowledge, and an understanding of the diverse backgrounds in our community; place importance on genuine and authentic connections with students, faculty, staff, and parents; be able to work collaboratively with team members of diverse backgrounds; and have the capacity to model an attitude of unyielding curiosity and a growth mindset.
REPORTS TO: Director of Educational Technology
Responsibilities and Competencies:
This experienced teacher should bring energy and passion for teaching Computer Science. Course teaching assignments include several Python-based Computer Science courses for a total of five sections.
Other responsibilities and necessary competencies include the following:
- Demonstrate a growth mindset and the ability to receive feedback, adapt to different learners’ needs, and become a valued colleague in a strong and cohesive department
- Cultural competence and the ability to connect with a diverse community of students, faculty, staff, and parents
- Design and deliver lessons focusing on the fundamentals of course material and authentic applications that support Ravenscroft’s mission to “nurture individual potential and prepare students to thrive in a complex and interdependent world”
- Exhibit superior teaching skills demonstrating best practices, including inquiry-based learning, differentiated instruction, and facilitation
- Carry out an existing curriculum that aligns with our Middle School and upper-level Upper School Computer Science curricula
- Collaborate with our Middle and Upper School Computer Science teachers as needed.
- Facilitate student-centered and differentiated instruction to reach a wide range of student abilities and learning styles
- Present material and assess students in a way that stimulates higher-level, analytical thinking
- Facilitate courses through Canvas, our learning management system
- Value and promote critical thinking, resourcefulness, growth-mindedness, and problem-solving
- Be available to work with students who need extra assistance during tutorial time
- Write thoughtful report card comments that clearly outline students’ strengths and areas for growth
- Keep abreast of developments in Computer Science by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and conducting an individual exploration of emerging technologies and applications
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as good interpersonal skills, are required
- Computer proficiency, technical skills, and knowledge of various computer technologies and applications are needed
- Must be adaptable and flexible enough to work individually and as part of a team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Two to four years of teaching experience
- Advanced degrees and certifications are desirable but not required
Ravenscroft School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding employees through a compensation plan that compares favorably with regional peer schools. A full benefits package includes TIAA/CREF retirement and generous medical/dental coverage.
Ravenscroft only accepts inquiries of interest and resumes via the School website, www.ravenscroft.org. Ravenscroft School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Connections working at Ravenscroft School
About Ravenscroft School
Ravenscroft School is an all gender independent day school in Raleigh, NC, with approximately 1,205 students enrolled in grades preschool through 12th grade.
Ravenscroft School Mission Statement: "The Ravenscroft community, guided by our legacy of excellence, nurtures individual potential and prepares students to thrive in a complex and interdependent world."