Location: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
Sacred Heart Academy seeks a thoughtful, creative, and collaborative Upper School Biology teacher for the 2023 - 2024 school year. The position currently includes Grade 9 Biology and AP Biology as well as moderating the Girls in Medicine club.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic educator who has experience teaching high school biology courses. The candidate seeks professional growth and learning every day and inspires others to do the same through optimism, selflessness, flexibility, and teamwork. The candidate possesses a willingness to collaborate with dedicated educators within the Sacred Heart faculty. The candidate will show empathy for and a passion to work with adolescent girls as well as a commitment to the development of the whole child.
Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr works to create a community and curricula that reflect our values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and the candidate should model these values.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Science Education, or other related field required, advanced degree preferred
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Familiarity with inquiryHub Biology and/or AP Biology curricula will be highly considered
- Passion for teaching, girls’ education, and the encouragement of women in science
- Ability to design and facilitate rigorous, empowering thematic lesson plans that are student-centered and thought-provoking
- Intellectual curiosity and a desire to spark a love of learning in students
- Proficiency in the use of classroom technology, especially Google Suite
- Ability to work with colleagues to evaluate, design, and implement science curricula that aligns with the Next Generation Science Standards
- Commitment to curriculum and instruction that demonstrates cultural competency
- Excellent communication skills, a genuine appreciation of adolescents, a sense of humor, and the ability to work well within a collaborative environment
- Biology is one of three required science courses at SHA. The position requires teaching freshman-level sections of biology and AP Biology, offered to 12th grade students.
- Stay current with best practices in the teaching of science, including incorporating technology and differentiating instruction.
- Plan and supervise laboratory experiments relevant to the current lessons being taught in class
- Assign and evaluate all coursework, submit grades to the school's Blackbaud LMS, and maintain a partnership with the school's administration, counselor, and parents regarding student performance
- Attend parent-teacher conferences each fall and spring semester
- Fulfill additional non-classroom duties on campus as needed
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested candidates should contact Dr. Cara Saraco, Director of Academics, at Cara.Saraco@SHABrynMawr.org. To learn more about Sacred Heart Academy visit us at www.shabrynmawr.org.
Connections working at Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr
About Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr
Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr is part of a national network of 25 Sacred Heart schools located in North America which share a common heritage and vision. There are more than 150+ Sacred Heart schools around the world, providing an international campus for our students at Bryn Mawr through exchange programs, summer workshops, and service opportunities. Sacred Heart Academy is accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS) and a member of the Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS) and the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS).
To learn more about Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr, please visit https://www.shabrynmawr.org/
Sacred Heart Academy educates college-bound women by cultivating their self-confidence, guiding them to realize their personal and scholastic potential and their responsibility to others, and by preparing them to meet life’s challenges - all within an academic and religiously diverse community that focuses on spiritual values and the individual student.
Sacred Heart Academy Bryn Mawr commits itself to educate to the Five Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education which unify us with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools.