Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Part Time
Title: Student Life Coordinator (Preschool Extended Day)
Department: Student Life
Status: Part-time, 10-month during Academic Year
Reports to: Head of Student Life
Hired by: Head of Schools
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-sex elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries; including 25 schools in the United States and Canada. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-gender classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 600 students, the Schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
It is central to the Sacred Heart mission that children feel nurtured in an environment that is built on respect, trust, and love while focusing on each child’s highest potential. Parents can feel a sense of comfort and confidence that their child will be nurtured and cognitively enriched in the learning environment. Our Sacred Heart Preschool should be thought of as a home away from home. Preschool educators and staff members strive to develop a respectful and compassionate relationship with our Sacred Heart families (students, parents, grandparents, and childcare providers) by exploring each family’s unique perspective and connection to the Sacred Heart mission. Collaborative trust is essential and is earned as these relationships grow in breadth and depth.
The Student Life Coordinator for Preschool Extended Day upholds the mission of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools as expressed in the Goals and Criteria and the mission statement of Sacred Heart Schools. The Coordinator is responsible to the Head of Student Life with some oversight by the Preschool Extended Day Supervisor and is a member of the Student Life Department.
Work schedule during 10-mo period:
Mondays – Thursdays, 3:15pm – 6:00pm
Fridays, 2:15pm – 6:00pm
Essential Job Functions:
- Acting as a positive role model for Sacred Heart Schools Students
- Engaging students
- Assisting with supervision of students
- Assisting students with homework
- Assisting with organized activities (games, crafts, etc)
- Assisting with dismissal
- Fulfilling other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Student Life and the Preschool Extended Day Supervisor
- Two years’ experience working with elementary-aged children in an educational setting
- High-school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Excellent character
- Excellent attendance
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently
- Experience working with diverse groups
- Computer skills: Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Flexible and able to problem solve
- Fun and engaging personality
Apply directly at the School's website (www.shschicago.org) in the Career Opportunities section, submitting a cover letter and resume.
Sacred Heart Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate.