Location: Faribault, Minnesota
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, an independent college preparatory boarding/day school (grades 6-Postgraduate) in Faribault, Minnesota, is seeking Controller. Reporting directly to the CFO, the Controller is responsible for all aspects of the organizations accounting. This includes recommendation and implementation of accounting policy, internal controls, accounting processes, financial reporting, regulatory and tax filing, and management of the annual audit. This position works with sensitive data that requires a high degree of professionalism and discretion to protect the confidentiality of information.
- Supervise, train, and assist business office personnel managing all aspects of accounting, including accounts payable, payroll, student billing and others.
- Maintain responsibility for development (as necessary) and documentation of accounting policy and procedures, according to best practices. Ensure compliance with same.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data.
- Ensure accurate and timely financial information and reporting, including all financial statements, cash and variance analyses, and dashboard reports, annual budgets and annual audits.
- Provide ad hoc reports as needed.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate coding and/or approval of all revenue, expenditures and journal transactions to their appropriate accounts, including unrestricted, temporarily restricted and permanently restricted funds.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate general ledger chart of accounts.
- Coordinate with the advancement, admissions, and academic administration to ensure proper and accurate coordination of activities and reporting.
- Assist the CFO in preparation and monitoring of monthly departmental budget reports and forecasts, working with administrators and department chairs re budget performance.
- Maintain currency in relevant non-profit accounting and regulatory issues.
- Maintain complete, accurate, and accessible records and files.
- Provide support for the CFO in reporting to Board of Trustees.
- Plan, coordinate and oversee the annual financial audits.
- Prepare, review and/or file organizational registration and tax forms.
- Liaison with managers of ancillary programs to ensure accurate accounting and reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CFO or Head of School.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in business or accounting, CPA certification, at least 5 years’ experience in non-profit fund accounting, preferably in an independent school or college/university setting. The CPA is not required if the candidate can demonstrate sufficient experience and expertise. High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and computerized accounting systems is required, and experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raisers Edge accounting software is very beneficial. Demonstrated success in managing and mentoring people is a must.
Connections working at Shattuck-St. Mary's School
About Shattuck-St. Mary's School
Founded in 1858, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School is an Episcopal, co-educational college preparatory, independent boarding/day school serving 475 students in grades 6 through postgraduate from 37 states and over 30 countries. Set on a beautiful 250 acre campus south of Minneapolis/St. Paul in Minnesota, SSM offers a mix of traditional and progressive education, combining classroom and online learning to best prepare students for college and beyond. Students benefit from a rich educational experience that guides them to be strong in character, mind, body, and spirit for a life of learning and service.