Location: South Kent, Connecticut
Type: Full Time
Compensation is competitive and includes meals when school is in session. Health and retirement benefits, including TIAA-CREF, are part of the compensation package. Funding exists to support advanced degree work and participation in professional growth opportunities such as conferences and workshops.
Interested candidates should submit a brief cover letter, resume, and list of references to South Kent School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 Year Degree
Job Summary: The Communications Coordinator will help document, elevate, and promote all aspects of life at South Kent School through photography, graphic design, video, web content, and social media. The best candidate will be motivated, proactive, and excited to tell the School’s story in a multitude of ways, building brand awareness, engaging constituents, expanding the School’s reach, and aligning with South Kent School’s Mission, core values, and institutional priorities. This position needs a self-motivated go-getter who is eager to engage with students, colleagues, alumni, community members, and more to produce high-quality, polished content with a strong focus on design and photography and a knack for social media. As the primary social media coordinator and photographer for the School’s communications office, you will be responsible for chronicling South Kent School through evocative images, video, graphics, design, and written content that will be used in a wide array of marketing contexts. This role will also oversee photo editing, graphic design projects, website maintenance, email marketing, event coordination, and assisting the Director of Communications in completing other administrative marketing projects.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day content production and marketing efforts for South Kent School’s social media platforms and website, ensuring content is optimized for each platform. Use timelines, templates, and scheduling to create a consistent stream of new content.
- Write copy, create graphics, and capture/edit original photography and video for South Kent School’s social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Vimeo) while integrating the school’s institutional priorities and voice.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop and implement a yearlong digital marketing strategy that includes social media and web management using the School calendar as a guide, with the goal of growing visibility and engagement.
- Serve as the school’s official photographer, working with all community members to capture moments of school life throughout the year (classes, athletics, student life, residential life, campus grounds, etc.)
- Attend and take photographs at school events, functions, and athletic games as scheduled (Note: Some photography needs will be spontaneous in nature and/or occur during evenings, weekends, or outside normal office hours.)
- Maintain an organized and robust photography library. Edit, tag, and manage photos in the school’s photo management system.
- Complete graphic design projects as needed for special events and projects in collaboration with the Communications, Admissions, and Advancement teams.
- Maintain awareness of ongoing school initiatives and collaborate with faculty, staff, coaches, and students to identify opportunities to use the School website and social media to facilitate interest in those initiatives.
- Engage in active social listening; monitor and interact with School audiences by responding in a timely way to comments, reviews, and direct messages on social media.
- Establish goals and report on content performance on social media; analyze engagement data, identify trends, and plan campaigns to build community, brand awareness, and action.
- Monitor and edit website information to ensure it remains timely and accurate.
- Assist Director of Communications with administrative and communications projects that could include email blasts, newsletters, event materials, yearbook, and other high-priority School projects.
- Work with Communications, Development, and Alumni colleagues to coordinate and promote South Kent School events, specifically using social media, design, and photography assets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, marketing, graphic design, or a related field.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of related experience in graphic design, photography, digital marketing, social media management (for a brand), and project management.
- Graphic design, photography, and photo editing experience are required.
- Strong experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in managing social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and other relevant platforms), preferably for a brand.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with careful attention to detail.
- Highly creative, nimble, and motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, work under pressure, and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Excellent people skills, with the ability to relate with or develop an easy rapport with a broad range of faculty, staff, alumni, and students in various stages of their careers from diverse backgrounds and life experiences.
- Excellent computer proficiency (Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours when necessary.
- Video editing and production experience with the capability to use video editing software (Final Cut/Adobe Premium Pro) is preferred.
- Confidence in utilizing social media publishing and analytics platforms/tools is strongly preferred.
Connections working at South Kent School
About South Kent School
South Kent School, established in 1923, is a college preparatory school for boys in grades 9 through 12, nestled in the hills of picturesque northwestern Connecticut. South Kent School prepares young men to succeed in college and thrive as thoughtful and engaged citizens in a rapidly changing and intensely competitive world. Guided by our mission, South Kent School’s academic, athletic, and community life programs work together to develop thriving young men. Using our contemporary expertise in male adolescent education, we are constantly evolving and adapting our instruction to ensure we are providing students with the skills and developing the character they will need to succeed in college and the world beyond.
Features of South Kent School:
Unique block schedule designed to focus on South Kent School’s characteristics of a thriving young man: critical thinking, emotional intelligence, resilience & agility, spiritual awareness & mindfulness, and collaboration.
A strong international student presence offering unique opportunities for cross-cultural learning and the development of international contacts.
High performance athletic programs that foster an... overall environment of physical and mental fitness.
Principles of Learning:
South Kent School’s Principles of Learning create a unifying framework by which we understand how to teach our students effectively. Through these principles, the faculty guide students in an adaptive and supportive environment to grow in mind, body, and spirit:
Boys learn best when their instruction is differentiated to their individual physical, emotional, and cognitive development.
Boys learn best in a loving, supportive community where they have meaningful relationships with inspiring and dedicated adults.
Boys learn best when skills are developed as the building blocks toward mastery.
Boys learn best when they experience their curriculum through vivid and intense activities with frequent practice and thoughtful feedback.
Boys learn best through self-reflection, resulting in a deep understanding of their learning and their value within the community.
Boys learn best through healthy habits of mind that build a strong sense of self and character.
Boys learn best when they imagine, innovate, and create in a community founded on tradition and values.