Location: Stratton Mountain, Vermont
Type: Full Time
Job Description: Stratton Mountain School seeks a Spanish teacher for all levels of high school Spanish. Responsibilities include teaching Spanish as well as other demands of a residential community. Housing may be available to the qualified candidate. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Position available for the 2023-2024 school year and beyond.
Stratton Mountain School is a winter sports academy committed to providing college preparatory academics while supporting the athletic and personal goals of our students, in the classroom, in their competitive pursuits, and in their personal development.
Stratton Mountain School Mission Statement:
Stratton Mountain School provides a unique environment that offers each student the opportunity to pursue excellence in competitive winter sports and college preparatory academics while developing strong personal values.
Stratton Mountain School students and graduates have included over 100 National Team Placements and Olympians, and several Olympic medalists. Our graduates attend and often compete for many of the top colleges and universities in the world, where their unique experience in a demanding academic and athletic environment has proven to be outstanding preparation for the rigors of college and university level academics and the professional world that awaits them.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses:
- Knowledge and passion for teaching Spanish and working with middle and high school aged students.
- BA or higher degree in Spanish or related fields.
- Appreciation of the personal and athletic goals of the student.
- Flexibility and creativity in the delivery of academic content to students who travel for competition and training.
- Willingness to collaborate and work closely with fellow teachers.
- Positivity and enthusiasm as a member of a dedicated community of teachers, coaches and administrators.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Love of the outdoors. Not a requirement, of course, though we are a rural school located on a ski mountain, providing access to excellent alpine and Nordic skiing, as well as hiking and all varieties of outdoor adventure. We want our teachers and coaches to embrace these opportunities.
- Instruct four to five classes of Spanish. Class size is typically 4-10 students (occasionally larger)
- Engage in additional responsibilities consistent with a residential community including evening and daytime study halls and participation in academic and community related responsibilities.
- Maintain appropriate assignments assessments and grades
- Issue mid-quarter and quarterly grades, along with short narrative reports of academic performance (quarterly).
- Post assignments to the class portals well ahead of due dates and provide electronic support for assignments.
- Maintain a clean, appealing and organized teaching space.
- Help to enforce school policies, discipline and rules.
Additional responsibilities may be discussed based on candidate interests including, but certainly not limited to:
- Residential roles
- Fall/spring coaching
- Electives, clubs, community events.