Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST
Position type: Full time, exempt,10 months
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. (unless otherwise specified)
Reports to: Head of Middle School
This is a full-time teaching position for the 2023-2024 school year. The Educational Technology Specialist is a special area teacher who is responsible for providing instruction to students in the subject of computers, programs, and other related technology to Early Childhood, Lower School, and Middle School students (Kindergarten through Grade 6). The Educational Technology Specialist will actively work with the Media Specialist and classroom teachers to integrate digital and media skills into existing curricular units. This person also works with classroom teachers to ensure that classroom topics are further reinforced with technology whenever possible.
- Provide an instructional program which is interesting, relevant, challenging, and appropriate for the needs and abilities of gifted students; meet individual needs of the students.
- Write and develop curriculum appropriate for gifted students; work with other teachers to ensure appropriate integration, scope, sequence, and articulation of curriculum; provide technology integration in all classrooms.
- Create a robust coding curriculum that is appropriate for all divisions.
- Create curriculum maps that meet both departmental objectives and student needs.
- Develop and implement a variety of activities and methods of teaching that are appropriate for gifted learners.
- Create assignments, quizzes, and tests focused on measuring the effectiveness of the curriculum map and gauging the knowledge of the students.
- Working with the Media Specialist and the classroom teachers, develop and implement a digital citizenship curriculum.
- Help students become autonomous learners, strive for the intrinsic rewards of learning, and develop their thinking.
- Promote a positive environment in which students are on task and productive; display positive, effective classroom management techniques.
- Demand excellence from students in a growth-producing manner; motivate students to work at the upper level of their ability; support students as they strive for personal growth.
- Strive for excellence and continued professional growth by obtaining the Gifted Endorsement or High Ability Licensure and attending appropriate conferences and training opportunities throughout the year.
- Meet with the Technology Department for team meetings, and direction as needed.
- Be a member of the Technology Committee.
- Co-supervise the work of the Media Specialist Assistant.
- Follow the guidelines of the teacher job description.
- Provide timely feedback to:
Parents by responding to emails, phone calls, etc.; scheduling conferences on regular conference dates or on an as needed basis; and updating classroom portal and calendar.
- Students by: answering questions; grading and returning assignments/quizzes/projects/tests; and completing report cards (enter grades into paper or electronic grade book, calculate final grades, and complete comments to include on each student’s report card).
- Supervisor by: responding to all emails or other methods of communication; notifying him/her of any potential classroom problems; maintaining classroom observation or other regular meeting schedule; and attending and participating in grade level, departmental, and divisional meetings, and one on one meetings with the Director of Technology as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Certification in educational technology preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with technology in an educational environment
- Experience with programming
- Expert in use of Google Workspace
- Gifted Education Endorsement or High Ability licensure is preferred
Well-qualified applicants should apply online at https://www.sycamoreschool.org/about/careers
No phone calls or walk-ins will be accepted for this position.
Connections working at Sycamore School
About Sycamore School
Sycamore School is an independent, co-educational day school serving the needs of approximately 350 academically gifted learners in Preschool through Grade 8. Founded in 1985, Sycamore is the only school in Indiana and one of few in the nation where the entire program is designed to meet the needs of gifted learners. Dedicated and talented teachers draw upon their training and experience in gifted education in order to provide a stimulating and supportive environment where engaged students experience a challenging, enriched, and accelerated program. Sycamore enjoys a beautiful facility and has an annual budget of $7.6 million. Accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States, Sycamore is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Association for Gifted Children, and the Indiana Association for the Gifted.