Location: Braintree, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Thayer Academy’s Upper School seeks a student-focused collaborator to teach in its Upper School English Department. This full-time position includes instructing four classes, advising a small group of students, and participating in the life of the school with students through coaching and/or supervising student activities. This position is a salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 10-month position. Upper School teachers report to the Upper School Dean of Faculty.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Teach four sections in the English department, which focuses its curriculum on developing strong communicators
- Advise a group of 7-8 students
- Contribute to the school community as an athletic coach (preferred) and/or leader of student activities
- Apply inclusive classroom practices that value the humanity of all students
- Participate in professional growth opportunities
- A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in an English or related field
- 3-5 years teaching experience at the high school level
- Passion for working with adolescents
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in the classroom, in curriculum, and in relationships with members of the school community
- High level of comfort and experience with technology in a educational setting
- Willingness to work on a team in a collaborative department
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, their families, and colleagues
Thayer encourages applications from candidates who support the Academy’s commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment.
To apply, please upload your resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three to five references, including two present or past supervisors.
Connections working at Thayer Academy
About Thayer Academy
About Thayer Academy
Thayer Academy's mission is “to inspire a diverse community of students to moral, intellectual, aesthetic, and physical excellence so that each may rise to honorable achievement and contribute to the common good.” In its hiring practices, Thayer Academy seeks candidates who come from a broad range of backgrounds and can contribute to a diverse community, who love working with young people, who thrive when engaged in multiple arenas of school life, and who welcome professional growth.
Located next to Braintree's historic district and just up the hill from the MBTA’s final Red Line stop is the historic 34-acre campus of Thayer Academy. Since 1877, our coeducational day school for grades 5-12 has been a dynamic learning environment in which each student is affirmed, supported, and challenged to grow and meaningfully achieve as young scholars, athletes, artists and leaders. Thayer continues to be a place where tradition and innovation meet, and where students form lifelong relationships with one another and with inspiring teachers who care deeply about their students' personal growth and academic success.
Thayer is rooted in the intentionally holistic educat...ion of our students, who are viewed as whole individuals with affinities and talents in many areas. Unique to Thayer, because of deliberately coordinated scheduling, it is possible to be both a varsity athlete and sing on stage in the school musical--students here are not forced to choose one path or another. There is a supportive and collaborative camaraderie that pervades our halls and campus--one where students view their classmates as partners, encouraging one another to discover their hidden talents and develop them into lifelong strengths.
When you work at Thayer Academy, you join a warm community of students, parents, and colleagues who value not only academic achievement but also a supportive environment in which continual growth and learning is encouraged and supportive through a robust array of professional development opportunities.