Location: Forest Hills, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $140,000 - $165,000 per annum
Salary commensurate with experience.
The Kew-Forest School, a PS-12 co-educational day school founded in 1918 in Forest Hills, NY, seeks an experienced and dynamic individual to serve as Director of Finance. Kew-Forest is proud to enroll an astonishingly diverse student body representative of Queens and New York City, including approximately nine percent of whom are international students. The Kew-Forest School promotes diversity in its hiring process and is committed to supporting its inclusive community by hiring culturally diverse faculty and staff to work with our equally diverse students, families, and employees. The Director of Finance reports to the Head of School and is an integral member of the School’s eleven-member senior leadership team. The Director of Finance directs all financial activities of the School including facilities and operations and is a collaborative and strategic partner with the Head of School and members of the Board of Trustees.
The Director of Finance (DoF) oversees the work of Business Office support, the Technology Officer, Food Service, Director of Auxiliary Programs, and Front Desk personnel. The DoF will also advise and collaborate with the Director of Facilities and Director of Safety and Security with matters relating to school operations and budget.
The Kew-Forest School is embarking on an exciting new chapter as it enters its 106th year of operation. In June 2022, The Kew-Forest School began the process of creating a new Campus Master Plan to reimagine and restructure the campus. Short-term upgrades to the school will be completed in the next few months, and long-term changes will then be contemplated. The school is also at the half-way point of a five-year strategic plan, which includes goals to enhance The Kew-Forest School's student-centered program; foster school identity and community; support the people who inspire students; discover The Kew-Forest School world; and build a durable and sustainable financial future. These goals are aimed at ensuring that The Kew- Forest School will continue to inspire students through its next 100 years, and the individual who becomes our next Director of Finance must be energetic, creative, imaginative, and thoughtful in their approach to maximizing the School’s financial resources, as they will play a pivotal role in its future success.
- Manage the School’s fiscal policies, programs, and practices including the development, administration, and reporting of the annual operating budget and the short- and long-range financial plan in close collaboration with the Board of Trustees and Board Treasurer, in particular;
- Serve as liaison to the Finance, Audit, Investment, and Buildings and Grounds Committees of the Board of Trustees, working closely with Committee chairs and organizing agendas and meeting materials as needed;
- Assist in or direct accurate and timely reporting to public and private agencies annually or as needed;
- Oversee the annual financial and 403(b) plan audits and filings of tax returns;
- Manage the daily business operations of the School, including tuition billing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing to achieve both day-to-day operational excellence, and legal compliance and to support the strategic goals identified by the Board and the administrative leadership, including development of Business Office employees, and interacting directly and productively with administration, faculty, student, and parent communities;
- Oversee all School operations, including technology, maintenance, security, and food service;
- Manage human resources to provide sound and consistent employment policies and appropriate benefits programs. Implement and administer all employee benefit programs, including health insurance, retirement, and other related plans;
- With the Facilities Manager, help plan and direct all replacements and renewals of the physical plant;
- Serve as a member of the Tuition Assistance Committee;
- Collaborate with the School’s counsel and insurance agents regarding all legal and risk management matters;
- Collaborate with the Head of School and other senior administrators on providing leadership regarding employee hiring, termination, and management;
- Oversee all facilities rentals;
- Provide transparent financial reporting and planning that builds trust among administrators, faculty and staff, students and alumni, parents, and trustees;
- Develop and manage internal communications and data sets to effectively track, analyze, and report on financial, admissions, and fundraising areas to the administration and Board;
- Advise and oversee the execution of major capital projects and any other on-campus construction.
Desired Experience and Quailfications
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA or MBA preferred;
- 3-plus years of financial and business leadership;
- Experience on senior administrative teams, with additional experience in working with nonprofit boards a strong plus;
- Relevant management experience, with specific experience in educational setting a strong plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Disposition
- Commitment to leadership as a collaborative, team-based endeavor; strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience as a problem-solver who takes initiative and contributes as a business-oriented, analytic, and strategic thinker; ability to innovate;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; excellent negotiation skills;
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities;
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies equitably, respectfully, consistently, and with integrity;
- Ability to understand and embrace the mission of The Kew-Forest School.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to the Director of Finance Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about The Kew-Forest School, please visit our website: www.kewforest.org.
We are The Kew-Forest School.
Our community nurtures lifelong learners from around the world.
Our educators inspire young people to think boldly and find their voices.
Our students support each other and explore thoughtfully as they shape the future.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
The Kew-Forest School believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity. The School prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, culture, background, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected classes or classifications. No employee or job applicant will be discriminated against in recruitment, compensation, promotion, or termination practices.
Connections working at The Kew-Forest School
About The Kew-Forest School
The Kew-Forest School is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and the New York State Department of Education. The School is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY), and the Guild of Independent Schools of New York (GISNY).
*The Kew-Forest School is a member of the New York State Association of Independent Schools Athletic Association (NYSAISAA), the Private School Athletic Association (PSAA), and the Long Island Athletic Association of Independent Schools (LIAAIS).