Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $64,000 - $115,000.*
* Base salaries do not reflect additional compensation based on degree level, stipends, and years of service beyond step 20 on the salary scale.
The Town School is a 110 year-old coeducational Nursery through 8th Grade school on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Town embraces high academic and ethical standards for each student, and our school’s motto, “Let there be joy in learning,” guides all members of the community. We are committed to equity and inclusion, creating a school community where all have a sense of belonging. Town students graduate as well-rounded emerging scholars and citizens who are articulate, resilient, morally responsible, and committed to a path of lifelong learning.
We now seek an experienced middle school educator (specific grade levels to be determined) for the 2023-2024 school year, building on our history of excellence and collaborating with our accomplished faculty. The salary range for this position is $64,000 - $115,000.* August 28, 2023 start date.
- Teach four sections of Math
- Co-lead a grade homeroom and advise a group of students
- Work collaboratively and professionally with subject area, grade-level, divisional, and school-wide colleagues for curriculum planning, student support, and mentoring
- Actively partner with parents and the Upper School Student Support team to closely monitor and support students’ progress
- Differentiate instruction to attend to the needs of individual students
- Partner with grade-level and department colleagues regarding Town’s Math curriculum
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, parents, and administration
- Serve as a full community member by attending meetings, participating in committees, and volunteering for various duties to supervise students
- Contribute constructively to all faculty discussions and continue to grow professionally (i.e., conferences, in-service training, current literature)
Town aspires to be an equitable and inclusive school community and therefore strongly encourages applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences, as well as a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Mathematics Education, or related field preferred
- Three years of teaching experience in a middle school setting preferred
- Experience with Connected Math Project, Illustrative Mathematics and/or Desmos a plus
- Experience incorporating technology in support of students’ learning
- Supportive of Town’s mission and philosophy
- Love of children and belief in their potential
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and support of Town’s Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; demonstration of personal growth and accomplishment in this area preferred
- Personal characteristics of an outstanding professional: warmth, tact, discernment, superb communication and organization skills, high energy, and a good sense of humor
Candidates should send a letter of interest, resumé, and the names and contact information of three professional references to Carol Seeley, Head of Upper School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connections working at The Town School
About The Town School
The Town School is committed to elementary co-education, serving students in nursery through eighth grade. As we embrace high academic and ethical standards for each student, we are guided by our school motto, “Joy with Purpose.”
Town’s program balances the traditional and the innovative, emphasizing excellence in academics and a thorough exposure to the arts and physical education. We teach children to think creatively, read critically and reason logically, stressing the value of both individual learning and collaboration. We are committed to diversity, teaching students to be inclusive and to respect themselves and others.
Students leave Town as well-rounded, articulate, resilient and morally responsible individuals. They are prepared to meet the challenges of a demanding secondary education and continue on the path of lifelong learning.
We believe that the process of learning is as important as the result. Town builds on children’s natural curiosity and creativity, helping them discover and celebrate their strengths. In our nurturing and supportive environment, we challenge each student to take risks and persevere. The pr...ogram enables students to experience success, increase self-confidence and develop individuality. Faculty and parents collaborate in support of each child’s growth.
Town students develop social awareness through age-appropriate service within the school and the community at large. Students exercise responsibility and assume leadership roles as they learn to become involved citizens of the world.