Location: Marietta, Georgia
Type: Full Time
Walker School’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
Position Title: Middle School Learning Specialist
Reports to: Middle School Division Head
Employment Status: Full-Time 10 Month
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Walker is looking for a dedicated Learning Specialist to work with middle school students. The Middle School Learning Specialist collaborates with instructors to help students who are having difficulty in school and may benefit from psychoeducational testing. Students who have been diagnosed with learning disabilities will have a friend in the classroom who can help them make the most of the resources available to them.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, compassionate, self-starter who embraces the opportunity to nurture students in fulfilling their abundant potential. The Middle School Learning Specialist will be able to hone their knowledge and experience instructing neurodiverse learners while simultaneously participating in a larger school community and expanding their own professional growth through collaboration with the Walker faculty at large. The ideal candidate will have formal training and experience with age and skill-appropriate teaching methodologies for students.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Interpret psycho-educational evaluations to establish accommodation plans for students requiring academic support.
- Ensure that all teachers are aware of all students with accommodation plans and how best to support them.
- Facilitate extended time and other accommodations during the school day.
- Use formative and summative data to document student progress for those with Accommodations Plans.
- Keep an accurate list of those students entitled to accommodations as exam time approaches and share this list with teachers.
- Connect with teachers at exam time to coordinate the proctoring for those students in need of accommodations.
- Establish and maintain frequent communication with parents to ensure all documentation is up to date.
- Serve as a student advocate and liaison by being in contact with parents, teachers, and support staff on a regular basis.
- Participate in Student Support Team Meetings to plan interventions and support. May recommend screening, tutors, psycho-educational evaluations, etc. to parents.
- Develop and maintain confidential Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) for all students 6-12.
- Review progress with students and assist in setting attainable goals for success.
- Review testing and files of incoming students and potential students with the Admissions Committee and make appropriate recommendations as to how we may accommodate any special needs.
- Be a point person on seeking out and/or providing effective professional development for all faculty in the area of serving the needs of students needing additional academic support.
- Be a point person for organizing and supervising our Learning Labs relevant to their division.
- Serve as a teacher in the Applied Strategies program
- Work with different support models such as push-ins and pull-outs as needs warrant
The ideal candidate must possess a Master’s degree or higher in special education or learning disabilities.
Connections working at The Walker School
About The Walker School
The Walker School is metro Atlanta’s top Pre-K (3)-12th-grade school open to all faiths, and our commitment to diversity provides a safe atmosphere for students to discover who they are and how to navigate successfully an ever-changing world. At the Walker School, the infinite worth and dignity of each student define our approach to learning. With an average class size of 15 students, each child is known, challenged, supported, and encouraged to explore. The Walker School is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Walker. Our core value of the infinite worth and dignity of the individual undergirds our mission as faculty and staff. We are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.