Location: Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Upland Country Day School is a coeducational independent school serving students Preschool through 9th grade on a 24+/- acre campus in Kennett Square, PA seeking a head coach for its expanded, elite-level development boys’ hockey program. Successful candidates will also be qualified to serve in full-time faculty or administrative staff positions based upon the candidate’s professional experiences and strengths.
Ice hockey holds a special place in the Upland community. Over 95% of Upland’s male graduates played ice while students at the school and a similar percentage of female graduates since 1996 have played as well. The school’s annual alumni hockey tournament brings over 100 hockey-playing alums to campus each year, and the alumni are passionate about the school’s ice hockey tradition.
Upland is committed to continuing its proud hockey tradition and in growing the profile of its ice hockey program. To do so, it will be extending its ice hockey season into the fall, increasing the ice time available for player development, and intensifying the competitiveness of its schedule with the short-term goal of attracting high-level student-athletes to the school and the long-term goal of competing at the highest level (i.e., Tier I) for the age groups of its teams.
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate:
- Demonstrates strong leadership and impeccable character.
- Commands respect from students, parents, alumni, and colleagues.
- Conveys a warm, outgoing, and confident personality.
- Facilitates a culture of mutual respect, sportsmanship, understanding, trust, and responsibility.
- Encourages, inspires, and motivates others to be of high character.
- Prioritizes long-term development of student-athletes over short-term victory.
- Is committed to the long-term development of the Upland Country Day School ice hockey program.
- Is an advocate for Upland Country Day School in the local and hockey communities.
- Is interested in becoming part of a close-knit, unique school and hockey community.
Preferred Experience of a Successful Candidate:
- Prep school and NCAA playing experience.
- Prep school or NCAA coaching experience.
- Enjoys relationships with prep school and NCAA hockey coaches and organizations.
- Experience with USA Hockey or other hockey development organizations.
- Demonstrated ability in developing team strategy and individual skills.
- Independent school or college teaching or administrative experience.
- Build upon the existing Upland Hockey tradition and maintain a first-priority program.
- Work with the Development & Alumni Office to engage Upland Hockey alums.
- Identify and contact prospective student-athletes and families and participate in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes and families.
- Work with the Director of Admission to organize on-campus and off-campus youth hockey events such as clinics and camps to introduce prospective student athletes to Upland.
- Work with the Director of Admissions to meet with families and students with an interest in hockey when they visit Upland.
- Work with the Director of Admissions to process student applications and files for student athletes.
- Work with the Director of Athletics to create a competitive schedule for Upland’s Boys’ hockey teams, including the organization of tournaments, travel, and consideration of league/conference participation.
- Work with the Director of Athletics to organize budget, travel, and logistics scheduling.
- Work with the Director of Secondary School Placement to place student-athletes into appropriate programs at the next level.
- Lead the Upland Boys’ Hockey coaching staff in an open and collaborative manner.
- Ensure that student-athletes are fully involved in all facets of school life.
- Participate in other appropriate teaching or administrative duties for which the applicant is qualified, student advisory and chaperone duties, and any other such duties as may be assigned to support the school.
Nondiscrimination Policy Statement:
It is the policy and commitment of Upland Country Day School that it does not discriminate based on race, age, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability or religion.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Upland Country Day School is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on account of race, age, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability or religion or otherwise as may be prohibited by federal and state law. Any employee, board member, volunteer or client who believes that s/he or any other affiliate of Upland Country Day School has been discriminated against, is strongly encouraged to report this concern promptly to the Head of School.
Harassment or intimidation of a staff member because of that person’s race, age, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability or religion is specifically prohibited and may be grounds for termination. Harassment and intimidation include abusive, foul or threatening language or behavior. Upland Country Day School is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of any such harassment and will not tolerate discrimination against staff members, volunteers or agency clients. Issues of discriminatory treatment, harassment, or intimidation on any of these bases should be immediately reported to the Head of School or immediate supervisor and, if substantiated, prompt action will be taken.