Location: SAXTONS RIVER, Vermont
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Media Arts Teacher
Vermont Academy is nestled on four hundred fifty acres at the foothills of the Green Mountains in Saxtons River, Vermont, and has provided a supportive community and close personal attention to its students for 146 years. Vermont Academy seeks a media arts teacher who has skills in several of the following areas of study: digital photography, digital filmmaking, digital design, or graphic design. There is also a possibility of team-teaching AP 2D Art and Design or advanced art courses. The ideal candidates must be proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Illustrator as well as similar editing and design programs, and have knowledge of Canon DSLR cameras, iMac desktops of various operating systems, Audio-Technica shotgun microphones, Canon Scanning equipment, and Wacom digital/pen tablets. Those with the ability to troubleshoot problems with the equipment, software, and programs will get special consideration.
While this position is for media arts, qualified candidates could also help with or teach courses in drawing, painting, printmaking, and B&W photography. Teaching experience at the secondary level is preferred. Technical facility with Google Workspace, Zoom, and other software commonly used in schools is expected.
Salary is based on degrees, experience, and the contributions the candidate can make to the school.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach four to five sections in Visual Arts which could include digital photography, digital filmmaking, animation, digital design, and digital graphic design.
- Ability to work with students from diverse arts backgrounds, from beginner to advanced levels.
- Create lesson plans, aligned with current trends, Vermont Academy’s pillars, and best practices.
- Maintain a safe, organized, positive studio, which supports student-centered independent learning, collaboration, and choice, while incorporating mutual respect.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional growth and work with department leadership to formulate and complete professional development plans.
- Live in, or serve as an affiliate to one of the Academy’s dormitories
- Acquire, with the school’s help, a Type II van license
- Coach or supervise an activity during two seasons, with priority given to those with experience with basketball, hockey, nordic, and/or soccer
- Serve as an academic advisor
- Monthly weekend duty
Diversity is a core value at Vermont Academy. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all students, staff, and faculty. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Disclaimer: The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status: The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Vermont Academy reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Employment decisions are made at Vermont Academy without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Connections working at Vermont Academy
About Vermont Academy
Founded in 1876, Vermont Academy is a coed college preparatory boarding and day school in southern Vermont, serving grades 9-12 plus a postgraduate year.