Location: El Segundo, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: commensurate with experience
Dean of Faculty
Reports to: Head of School
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Vistamar School is a college preparatory, co-educational, independent day school that serves a very diverse population of students in grades 9-12, supported by a generous program of Moderated Tuition. Approximately 35% of our students participate in our Moderated Tuition program, and approximately 50% of our students identify as students of color. As described in our mission statement, we seek to attract a faculty and student body who bring diversity of thought and culture to our school community, and who will be committed to ensuring that we provide an inclusive environment for the respectful exchange of multiple perspectives. Vistamar is located in the easternmost section of El Segundo. The school is close to major freeway interchanges and is well serviced by public transportation, including a commuter rail station.
Since opening in 2005, our enrollment has grown steadily to 260 students who are drawn from over 50 different middle schools and over 55 unique zip codes in greater Los Angeles. Both tuition and salaries are competitive with other Los Angeles area independent schools. Vistamar is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and holds institutional memberships in the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS).
Vistamar School empowers students, preparing them to contribute and excel in higher education and in life, and commits to:
- A broad and balanced program that challenges and engages students, building their individual skills and inspiring a passion for learning.
- An intimate atmosphere that fosters initiative, responsibility, knowledge of self, and connections to others.
- Diversity of thought and culture that encourages authentic exchange of perspectives, mutual respect, and a mature understanding of the world.
In their studies, in their work, and in their communities, Vistamar students will embrace lives of learning, integrity, and purpose.
Vistamar School is seeking a Dean of Faculty to begin July 1, 2023. The Dean of Faculty will report to the Head of School. An aspirational educator who cares deeply about the experience and development of adolescents, the Dean of Faculty will serve as an important advocate, mentor, and voice for the faculty, coinciding with our institutional commitment to equity and belonging. The Dean of Faculty exhibits and models character and respect, providing vision and guidance for our faculty.
Through skilled communication and effective collaboration, the Dean of Faculty invests in relationships and provides proactive decision-making to engage community members in the delivery of programs that support the curricular development, pedagogical support, evaluative modeling, and ultimate development of teachers in accordance with Vistamar’s mission and program. The Dean of Faculty is an innovative leader and supportive team member, a keen observer and architect of faculty culture, and an educator who cultivates and maintains high expectations for all.
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Dean of Faculty oversees all aspects of faculty life and culture and is a constant presence around the building and at activities and events for our students. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach one section.
- Oversees Director of Teaching and Learning, Director of Life Planning, and Dean of Student Life.
- Attend Open Houses and facilitate faculty-related programming.
- Lead, train, and empower faculty with the tools and professional habits to cultivate a sustainable culture. where faculty and students feel safe, seen, and supported.
- Oversees Faculty retention, recruitment, onboarding, and evaluation processes.
- Oversees UC Approval process.
- In partnership with other administrators, coordinate and execute the opening-of-school staffulty meetings.
- Leads the annual Subject Study review process.
- In partnership with the Director of Teaching and Learning, coordinate and execute all faculty meetings with Staffulty throughout the year.
- Collaborate with the Dean of Students, Learning Specialist, School Counselor, Director of Equity and Inclusion, Director of Teaching and Learning, and other key administrators to address student needs and concerns.
- Oversee Professional Development for all Staffulty.
- In partnership with Chief Marketing and Communication Officer, coordinate and create the School Master Calendar.
- In partnership with the School Scheduler, oversee the creation of the master class schedule for students.
- Serve on school committees as needed (e.g. Admission Committee, Diversity, and Access Committee, etc.).
- Fulfill other responsibilities assigned by the Head of School as deemed appropriate for the position.
- Master’s degree (preferred), along with a minimum of three years of school administrative experience in Academics or a related field.
- Ability to cultivate strong and collegial relationships with all community members in a culturally responsive manner.
- Genuine enjoyment of and effectiveness in working with adolescents and their families.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Can speak to the complexities of Faculty-specific programming in the context of independent schools.
- Create, implement, and sustain inclusive and equitable policies and programs in line with Vistamar’s mission, generated with strategic and systemic thinking skills.
- Coordinate programs and projects across multiple academic and non-academic departments with strong organizational skills.
- Seek to know, understand, and serve the social-emotional needs of the whole child.
- Use student-centered approaches to teaching along with a depth of content expertise to design meaningful Faculty experiences that foster a passion for learning in students in line with our Four Attributes of Excellent Teaching.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the reflective, iterative nature of education and thus seek continuous growth and development as a lifelong learner.
- Must be available to engage fully with our onboarding process.
Additional information about Vistamar School is available on the school’s website: https://www.vistamarschool.org.
Anticipated Search Calendar
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Semifinalist Zoom Interviews: Starting the week of April 24
Finalist Visits: Within a week of Semifinalist Interviews
Application Requirements and Search Process
DRG Talent Advisory Group is conducting this search on behalf of Vistamar School. To discuss this opportunity in more detail, contact our lead consultant:
Senior Search Consultant
Candidates should submit, as soon as possible, materials including the following:
- A cover letter indicating why they are particularly interested in and qualified for the position.
- A current resume.
- The names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of five references, to include the relationship with the references. (We will obtain permission from candidates, at the finalist stage, before contacting references.)
- Optional: other supporting material (articles, speeches, videos, or letters of recommendation) that would be useful to the Search Committee.
- Candidates should upload materials directly on the DRG website by visiting the Vistamar School listing at DRG Talent.
This position description is based upon material provided by Vistamar School, an equal opportunity employer.
Connections working at Vistamar School
About Vistamar School
Vistamar School is a college preparatory, co-educational, independent day school that serves a very diverse population of students in grades 9-12, supported by a generous program of Moderated Tuition. Approximately 35% of our students participate in our Moderated Tuition program, and approximately 50% of our students identify as students of color. As described in our mission statement, we seek to attract a faculty and student body who bring diversity of thought and culture to our school community, and who will be committed to ensuring that we provide an inclusive environment for the respectful exchange of multiple perspectives.
Since our opening in 2005, enrollment has grown steadily to 280 students, who are drawn from over 50 different middle schools and over 35 different zip codes in greater Los Angeles. We will add faculty and classrooms incrementally as we approach our target enrollment of 300.
Vistamar is located in the eastern-most section of El Segundo. The school is close to major freeway interchanges and is well serviced by public transportation, including a commuter rail station.
Both tuition and salaries are competitive with other Los Angeles- area independe...nt schools. Vistamar is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and holds institutional memberships in the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Council of International Schools (CIS).