Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Winchester Thurston School, a Jr. Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 independent day school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a full-time Middle School Computer Science and Math Teacher, beginning in the 2023-2024 school year. Winchester Thurston seeks to maintain a diverse faculty who are dedicated in particular to actively engaging students through experiential learning programs in connection with the dynamic resources of the region, through a nationally recognized initiative called City as Our Campus. Our faculty members lead the way in educational innovation, rigorous academics, scholarly standards, and a learning environment that better prepares students for the challenges of a changing world in the twenty-first century.
The Middle School Computer Science and Math Teacher provides instruction and supervision for students in grades 6 – 8. The individual in this position must understand and respond to the unique needs of students, fostering in each student a sense of confidence, ethics, responsibility and respect for others. The Middle School Computer Science and Math Teacher performs under the general direction of the Head of School and under the daily supervision of the Director of Middle School. The individual in this position will work closely with the Director and Associate Director of Middle School, Computer Science Department Chair, Math Department Chair, other department members, other faculty members, students, and parents.
- Teach two sections of Middle School Math as well as computer science classes
- Plan and execute lessons in the context of a year-long curriculum using varied methods of instruction and assessment in accordance with departmental curriculum and competencies and the school’s educational philosophy
- Be available during CORE (study hall/extra help period) and other times throughout the day to provide instructional support to students both in and out of class, as needed, to answer questions regarding content
- Create and maintain an appropriate and organized classroom environment with an emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being and safety of students
- Partner with other Middle School teachers, as well as Computer Science department members and Math department members, to work as a collaborative team to review, revise, and coordinate the Middle School computer science and math programs
- Communicate with and respond to parents’ questions and concerns in an effective and timely manner through a variety of means, including email, telephone, student progress reports, and parent notices
- Complete student assessment reports (e.g., grades reports, interim comments, etc.) in accordance with school guidelines and the deadlines established by the Director of Middle School
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for and engagement in the school’s:
- City as Our Campus initiative, actively seeking meaningful community connections for experiential learning opportunities within and outside the classroom
- Commitment to equity and inclusion, including but not limited to, curriculum, teaching practice, and professional growth
- Strategic priorities through designing and implementing learning experiences that are interdisciplinary, student-centered, and/or project-based
- Participate in a mentoring program with an experienced faculty member during the first two years of employment
- Commit to ongoing professional growth and play an active role in the formative development process, which includes, but is not limited to, participating in goal setting, engaging in constant reflection, participation and contribution to collaborative curricular and professional learning groups, and participating in observations with peers and administrators
- Work as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators by attending all school-wide meetings, department meetings, Middle School faculty meetings, and in-service days, as well as serving on committees as needed
- Participate in the advisory program as a student advisor, as needed
- Assist the admission process by meeting with prospective families, attending admission events, and helping screen prospective candidates for admission
- Serve as an active member of the Middle School by engaging with colleagues, participating in events and activities, and fulfilling additional duties, including but not limited to, taking attendance, managing lunch and recess duties, chaperoning field trips, after-school events or grade-level trips, and other assignments
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science, math or a related discipline, is required; a Master’s degree is preferred
- Experience teaching, preferably in a Middle School setting
- Experience with and enthusiasm for community-based, project-based, interdisciplinary, and/or maker learning
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to collaborate and work effectively with students, colleagues and parents
- Ability to create an interesting and challenging learning environment for students
- Demonstrated ability to meet the needs of a diverse student population and to utilize technology in the classroom is required
- Educational philosophy that is consistent with that of the School
Applicants may apply at https://www.applitrack.com/winchesterthurston/onlineapp and will need to submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.
Connections working at Winchester Thurston School
About Winchester Thurston School
Nationally recognized for innovative
teaching, Winchester Thurston is a Junior Pre-K through Grade 12 independent school providing a
rigorous college preparatory program that
prepares students for the challenges of a
changing world. Situated within Pittsburgh’s university and cultural center, WT offers exceptional learning experiences in partnership with surrounding resources. Learn more at www.winchesterthurston.org.
one of America’s most livable cities,
Pittsburgh and its region feature distinctive
culture, sports, and recreation.
to learn about living in our community.